Site Logo

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Interest in Upright MAME Cabinet for HF?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

So... maybe tonight some of us can look at the task of swapping out the monitor? I should be at the Hack Factory sometime shortly after 7 PM today.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Some good progress on this today!

Steven and I set to removing the old CRT, and it was removed. We first took pictures of connections to the old monitor, just in case.

I got one of the clipboards and ruled paper to record activity on the project (it's sitting on the control panel). I wrote down a few project tasks, but it's just a start. We also took the pedestal off of the Viewsonic monitor. There is one potential problem: the depth of the Viewsonic is much more than the original. I THINK that with modified placement in the cabinet we can fit it, but if not, we can consider mounting it face up and adding a 45 degree reflective mirror.

The X-Arcade panel looks like it will fit very nicely in place of the existing panel - it's not too wide.

Finally, there happened to be glass in front of the banner at the top of the machine and this got broken. It should've been plexiglass anyhow, but we'll need to replace it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:09 am 

Is the new monitor in its case? It may be possible to strip it to get it to fit nicer as there's a lot of empty space in crt housings.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:40 am 
Site Admin

smittex wrote:
Is the new monitor in its case? It may be possible to strip it to get it to fit nicer as there's a lot of empty space in crt housings.
Yes, its the Viewsonic in the classroom, in the case. I'm afraid we wouldn't gain much by taking the case off of this one; the yoke is just very long.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

Some progress... on Monday I made a cardboard mockup of the monitor to check on fitting the thing inside the newer cabinet... it seems to fit, but barely, and probably at the same angle as the original monitor, but brought forward a tad. The X-Arcade panel will fit if wood support pieces in the control panel compartment are removed. We can fashion new wedge-shaped pieces for the sides to fill the gaps.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, I'm borrowing the X-Arcade to show to a friend. Probably won't even test it, just show.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

Some progress was made last evening. Mr. Odegard helped me cut a wood panel for a front bezel to surround the CRT monitor. Kelly and I also de-attached the monitor from the portion of plastic housing that was still affixed. The next step is to figure out the properly shaped opening for the monitor face, probably using some cardboard to create a template that we can transfer to the wood. Another consideration is how to orient/mount the circuit board in the arcade cabinet so we can easily use the adjustment controls.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

Made some progress on Monday.

A hole has been cut in the pressed wood panel where the monitor will be mounted. We still need to enlarge it a bit with filing or whatever. We probably don't have to make the hole fit like a glove, but somewhat larger than the tube face would be OK. We could then put a better fitting decorative laminate over that and cut to fit.

Also, I removed the existing control panel and hardware inside the panel basin, so we can replace it with our X-Arcade unit.

I'll check forum posts, I guess, but does anyone know about the playstation equipment that was put inside the arcade cabinet? Was that to be integrated in this project?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:51 am 
Site Admin

More progress!

Yesterday Stephen and I worked to make a new plywood mounting panel for the monitor. The previous one made out of pressed chip board wouldn't do well at the corner points with only a fraction of an inch of material between the corners and mounting holes.

The monitor for now is bolted onto the board using hardware from the original cabinet.

Next, the monitor face needs to be set back a bit to be practically flush with the front face of the mounting panel, so we can fit a bezel - probably made out of poster board or something - in front to extend a little over the edges of the monitor, on the inside. We'll likely put spacer slats on the back side of the panel, which would also help to prevent any bending of the plywood from gravity.

I'll try to get to the H.F. this weekend and bring over the X-Arcade console, so we can fit it in the console cavity and fashion wedges for the sides to occupy the triangular empty spaces.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

Tonight I brought the X-Arcade unit over to test fit it in the front cavity. Unfortunately, the front of the X-Arcade panel flairs out to the sides beyond the side walls of the standing arcade cabinet.

After considering some possible ways to mount it, Jude and I determined that all of them would be kludgy, and aesthetically and functionally lacking. Jude expressed an idea that I had thought too, to take the inner parts of the X-Arcade and mount them on a new console piece. We opened the bottom of the X-Arcade by removing six screws; it looks like a simple enough job to dismount the buttons and joysticks and transplant them. This is what we're going to try.

Jude will make a new console piece about the same shape as the original one. I'll start work on some graphics. We can lay out the buttons exactly like they were on the X-Arcade, or do minor rearrangements, within the allowable perimeter inside the console panel where hardware would not bump into cabinetry underneath. We can also add a track ball if we want.

Jude thinks he may have a console panel fabricated by Tuesday, albeit without the button and joystick holes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next