Site Logo

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: we want to build 8 computers for classes
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

I'm at the H.F. tonight and I can't find our box of software. It used to be in the classroom in the back right corner as viewed from the door. I had an Ubuntu disk there that I wanted to try on some computers here but I can't find it. If I had a USB drive with Ubuntu on it I could try getting more of the PCs to go, but alas, I don't have one on me right now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:08 pm 

There's a cardboard box on the back left network rack that has a bunch of discs in it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

We made progress on box #04 today. I got Ubuntu 10.04.3 to install from a flash drive. Well, 97% installed when I had to leave. Steven or Riley might've been able to see it complete. On this box we can pull the lower optical drive (it's borked) and the floppy drive. The hard drive needs to be mounted inside the case. I'm not sure how the original drive cage was disassembled or if it's even still around. If not available, the drive needs to be mounted in the case by some other means. After the install, the BIOS should have two settings reset: make internal HDD as highest priority HDD to boot (above USB drive), also make HDD first device to boot.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:55 pm 

If this is the one without any 3.5" bays, I saved a 5.25" to 3.5" adapter from a zip drive that should be somewhere around that electric component desk from this purpose.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:13 am 
Global Moderator

I can get cages and brackets, take a picture of the inside and send it to me, I will see if I can find a cage that is close and we can mount it the rest of the way.

Or I can grab a case from the scrap pile at freegeek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:34 am 

I think atx cases in general would be good to grab, Booka, if I remember correctly. Brian?

Riley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:02 am 

That's a go on the atx cases. Let's acquire 2 for now until we get some heatsinks for the 3.4 GHz CPU+mobos; they need socket 775 heatsinks and mounting hardware which can be acquired from microcenter for about 10$. There are 2 lcds in the front office that can be used for this project. One is on the table with bubble wrap, the other is in a box under the table next to the fridge. Also, the laser printer in that office can be setup in that room. The large laser printer in the member rack can be setup in the classroom. It will serve for classroom printing and PCB manufacturing via toner transfer method. It needs connecting via parallel cable. I also think we need a server in that room. Ill be heading up there in a little bit in case anyone wants to help out or learn something...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:12 am 
Global Moderator

I am sure I can find a Centronics 25 to 36 pin printer cable if you do not have one, and I will grab a couple ATX cases if I get down there today.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:29 pm 

Put the LCDs from the front room in the classroom. I think one is not working... Printers still need hooked up. wammie and I hit 10 working computers today, though 2 are barely usable due to their speed. We have 4 confirmed working LCDs. The right vertical desktop in the "island" has 2 fully functioning and networked computers ready to be used. You can view the status of this project at http://www.tcmaker.org/wiki/doku.php?id=projects:classroom_computers

Unawesomeness
I've noticed a lot of people are leaving trash in the classroom and are not cleaning up after themselves. Several of us have worked very hard to get this room in order and it's very demotivating when we come in and the classroom is in MUCH worse shape than it was just a few days prior. Please clean up after yourself. If you have "miscellaneous" and unlabeled stuff in the classroom, it will be moved to the member storage area, so PLEASE label your projects, materials, boxes, devices, etc; we are under the assumption that if it doesn't have a name on it, it's up for grabs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:17 pm 

If it doesn't have a name on it, and it's in the parts area, or another area set aside for "up for grabs", it's up for grabs.

If it's elsewhere, and it's NOT labeled "up for grabs", it's NOT up for grabs.

This is one of the reasons the shop rules really need to get posted. Here's the snippet from that document on the wiki:
Quote:
5. If its not explicitly labeled as free, or fair game, its not. (Still, please label your project materials.)

and here's another that's relevant to the condition of the classroom:
Quote:
Clean up your own mess promptly. (And any mess you notice that's not in progress)

The classroom needs to get and stay clean; it's not happening, and people need to be trained. Now.

The other part of this is, I don't want to see, for example, the computer that Adam set up for the maker bot, get "up for grabbed" as it wasn't labeled.

We need to be clean, and we need to err on the side of not trashing someone's stuff.

Riley

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next