Site Logo

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: virgin duemilanove!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:37 pm 

yeah. so i just got my first arduino board today in the mail.
any suggestions for fun practice projects?

PS: the atmel chip holster/port is soldered on crooked. anyone have assembly "issues" like this from adafruit? (the solder and connections are solid - its ust the thing has higher leads on one side vs the other)

Post subject: Re: virgin duemilanove!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:00 pm 
Global Moderator

The first couple of things I did:

scanning leds (think cylon or kitt)
rgb color mixer

I think sketches for both of those comes with the Arduino IDE.

Limor Fried's tutorials are a good place to start too.

http://www.ladyada.net/learn/arduino/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:35 pm 

Did you get any other items with it? Motor control board? Ethernet board? Proto board?

Unfortunately, the Arduino isn't worth much on its own- you need some sort of something to do with it. It's pretty easy to put some LEDs on the IO ports. All you need is to solder a resistor in series with one leg of the LED (330 ohm is a good number) and then plug it into two adjacent ports. Make one high and one low, and the LED will light up.

As for the assembly thing, I doubt Adafruit had anything to do with the assembly. The board was almost certainly assembled by a third party assembly house (and probably purchased by Adafruit, whole hog, from someone else).

If you need LEDs and/or resistors, let me know. I can probably set you up with something- I have lots of that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:53 pm 
Global Moderator

I think I got by with a trip to Ax-Man to get started, although their variety of components can be limited, should be able to find enough to make a few led's flash.

I got R, G and B leds at micro center, but Radio Shack would be better.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:17 pm 
Global Moderator

You will also want a breadboard (or 10), you can pick one up at radio shack or if you are patient you can get one for half as much at Sparkfun and they have a variety of sizes and colors (which is important).

Last edited by Theo on Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
added link

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:11 pm 

I just popped the cherry (and mangonel?) on mine this week. Got the starter kit off of Amazon. Thrilled my 5 year old to the sights of a LED fading in and out. Not sure what I'll end up doing with it though, but it sure is fun to play. I hit up arduino.cc to get started, myself.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:08 am 

Ax-man is a good thought. A fun something might be to get a potentiometer or two from there and use that to make a variable voltage (tie the left and write terminals to VCC and GND and center one to one of the analog inputs) and try using that to vary the output brightness of an LED on one of the PWM outputs, or to vary the rate at which you cycle through LEDs. Use a small-ish pot- say, 10k or so; the input impedance on the Arduino ADC is probably pretty low.

If you're down for a REAL challenge, Radio Shack used to sell (it's been a long time since I perused their electronics section) a receiver module for IR remote controls. Basically, give it 5V and it gives you the pulse data coming from the remote. Lots of info out there about decoding it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:05 am 
Global Moderator

It seems to me that Radio Shack has been ramping up it's electronics section a bit, they started selling various sensor modules from Paralax et. al. and started stocking more bread boards etc. although you will get better deals on the net they are good for a quick fix.

I think YMMV on the store you pick, I've been going to the Knollwood store in SLP.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:51 am 

yep.
its time for me to venture out into the world and get some parts.
i just got the duemilanove board, with nothing else.
i have a breadboard from EE Lab (from forever ago) - and enough to get me thru most of the tutorials for now.

surplus electronic materials welcome! dump all your discardable electronics on me!

i want to try my hand out at simple projects before i actually build something that does a specific, useful function to me in everyday life.
like a sous vide machine (controlling heater element voltage with temperature feedback)
or an impact data logger (for use in a punching bag - to track speed and power of strikes)
or a repeating audio sample "beatbox"... (samples and loops recorded audio, with additional beats as samples)

more on those later... today - its off to axeman, walmart and radioshack! (in that order)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:46 am 

You could try and get some free samples from National Semiconductor, Texas Instruments, Maxim and others.
I got some samples of the LM34 temp sensor from National the other day. Along with some 1.024V references.
Going to get some 1-wire chips from Maxim this week.
Not for any specific project. I'm more of a "starter" than a "maker".