Site Logo

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Feb 23, Studio Bricolage
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:44 pm 

Do we have any sort of agenda or list of topics that we want to bring up w/ the Bricolage folks tomorrow? Are we going to be going in as a group from TC Makers, or on our own? What is the end goal? Are we wanting them to give us advice, help, partnership? What say you Makers?

Post subject: Re: Feb 23, Studio Bricolage
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:35 pm 

Well, I thought I might pick up Krista and Nick on the way, at last check. That'll make it a bit of a roundabout route, but not too bad. (let's PM those addresses, peeps)

Agenda... #1 is meet and greet. Get a feel for respective group foci (er... because "focuses" just sounds wrong). I'll definitely be identifying myself as a TC Maker group member, even though we're still very informal. Better than Random Dude from Eagan with Tools, y'know?

So far as I see it, our impressions of SB vs. TCM boil down to mainly organizing classes and community participation vs. building the best and craziest projects we can come up with (plus the occasional beer and/or pie). These sound compatible to me, and I believe we all want a real shop.

I suggest re-reading the original SB thread, especially this post from Steve Jevning. I will too. We can pull together a few points here before it's time to go. Remember, we're still early days ourselves.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:47 am 

Yeah, and they're somewhat more established. The fact that they've been around for 2 years but have yet to find a space worries me a little, I want to establish exactly how they've been looking and what they've been looking for. That way we can see if those needs mesh and figure out solutions to the roadblocks they've come across.

Also, I can grab Nick (I don't know where Krista lives) since I'm in NE already. Travelling from Eagan up here, then down Nicollet is going to be a pain.

-Dave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:16 am 

bric a brac:

i wont be able to make it to the studio bricolage meetup - work calls.
i think ill be up in New brighton when the meet starts.

someone take minutes or something.. see you guys wednesday?

-Nick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:27 am 

Can't be there Wed, but I'm planning on being over on Sat to work on the catapult for at least part of the time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:20 pm 

i believe that krista is going to bus over to my office adn we'll head down. that's to be confiremd yet this afternoon.

i'm in the warehouse dist, can can bring folks from here if need be.

i was thinking this would be more of us meeting them, and sitting in on their meeting, rather than us all interacting as much, unless they prompt us

long term, i suspect that we as a group are lookign more at havign shop space to work in on our own/in groups, where as sb is looking more for classroom type space. realistically, those two overlap beautifully, in that both sorts of thigns have similar needs in terms of equipment, and facilities, we'd just need to make a joint space large enough that a class wouldn't preclude general members from being able to use things at the same time. (keeping in mind that we obviously won't have the space or tools for everyoen to use the same tool, but that we'd rather not have everyone get backed up behind one tool that's being monopolized be it by one member or a class)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:42 pm 
Global Moderator

I wanted to go to this, but since there will be a few tcmaker faces making a showing I will skip it.

I don't want to leave the wife alone with the kids much more than one night a week and I would like to be there for the Wed. meetup since it sounds like Paul will be making an appearance.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:16 pm 

I will post more of a summary writeup about this, but for now, here are some photos. Not all of these are mine, btw.
(Leonardo's Basement is the non-profit organization that includes Studio Bricolage; more on that later.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:10 pm 

since no one has really talked too much about the meeting with SB yet, i'll get the ball rolling.
[Sorry, and thanks for adding this; really I will follow up, promise... - T.]

they really do have a great space set up already, but it's pretty easy to understand why they need to move. they had some really awesome projects under their belts and definitely know the community as well as the logistics of membership, incorporation, funding, etc. the group was really friendly and knowledgeable, and i think that they would be great to collaborate with.

however, after talking with them for a few hours, i do have a few reservations. it seemed to me that they were maybe looking to incorporate tcmakers into the SB, under the umbrella of Leonardo's Basement. now, this isn't necessarily a bad thing (they've got funds, tools, connections, knowledge, etc), but i don't know that what we want to do works with their mission. they are, first and foremost, dedicated to education whereas i think that we all want a place to tinker, to work on projects big and small, and to maybe learn new skills from each other. there's no reason why we couldn't host the occasional public class or workshop, but that may be more of the exception rather than the rule for us.

metis and i talked about this quite a bit after the meeting, and i'm sure that theo has a lot that he wants to say on the matter too. i wanted to just get a little bit of this out on the forum so that we can all maybe start to think of a focus for what we're doing and what we want to accomplish. it's still early enough that we have a lot of leeway in where we go with this, but we definitely need to discus the pros and cons of various options.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:41 pm 

Metis & I chatted about this today too. Bear in mind that Steve J. & the Leonardo's Basement (LB) crew do want to kinda spin Studio Bricolage (SB) off, as more of a teens & adults program only, with the serious tools & big projects. Right now they can't really do that from an organizational/legal standpoint, so it's all currently under the LB umbrella, as you say. SB is much more along the lines of what we want to be doing, and it will need a space much more like the sort of workshop concept that we've been thinking about, albeit casually.

I do like the idea of working together with Steve's group. My impression of the group we sat with last night was solid, thoughtful, well-connected, and easygoing. They've got a lot of depth and detail to the work they've done. Now, I think they would benefit from our energy, adaptability, and motivation, just as we would benefit from their experience & resources.

As far as "mission", well, at the moment, we don't actually have one. Sure, we like to build wacky things, hang out together, do show-and-tell with handbuilt props & maguffins, and brainstorm over beers. Some of us might play with a kitten or two. ;) But we have yet to formally define ourselves, let alone organize into some legally recognizeable entity. We might even decide once & for all not to organize, leaving everybody free to do whatever the heck they want, with whomever they want.

I personally like the idea of aligning ourselves with MAKE: and MakeTV, but as far as being able to put together the best shop we possibly can, I think the bigger the group of like-minded and active folks we can aggregate, the better space we'll end up with... and the better the projects will be. Also, LB & SB feel like summer camp for science geeks, only year-round, which for me is really hard to beat. :) The more we network...

re: classes--once we do have a shop, folks will be teaching all the time. You know, just training folks in on different equipment & procedures, for starters. And if we do hook up with Steve's group, very likely they'll continue handling the bulk of the more formal classes, as interest & expertise dictate, while the folks who have in-depth projects to build will continue building them. Different efforts can be underway in separate areas of the space simultanously.

Cities have neighborhoods, companies have departments, schools have grades; it's perfectly reasonable to expect that a Twin-Cities-area group of makers would actually be a collection of smaller groups with common interests, while still being unified by membership to a larger organization and (importantly) a really nice clubhouse: the Shop. I think it comes down to this: With the right workspace, everybody wins. And the larger & more diverse the group is, the better we can make that workspace.