Internet Providers

Off topic discussion
pyrodogg
Site Admin

Internet Providers

Postby pyrodogg » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:59 am

I'm moving into a new apartment on Thursday. It's been two years since I've lived in the area and back then I was just a 'poor' college student.

I need ISP recommendations from you respectable Makers. I really don't care about cable TV, I just want reliable, and affordable internets.

orion
Site Admin

Re: Internet Providers

Postby orion » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:50 am

what part of town

otto_pjm

Postby otto_pjm » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:32 am

Not sure what kind of bandwidth you want, but we have Qwest DSL, and it's $45 / month for 7M down / 1M up. I don't see that plan anymore since CenturyLink is buying Qwest, but it may exist. If you want a land line, CL has a $15 DSL plan that's bundled, but I don't know what the total would be.

I know everyone hates the phone company, but if the power goes out the phones and your DSL tend to stay up, and phone companies have service obligations for uptime with state regulators, cable not so much.

If you want to be mobile I know that LTE / 4G cards kick my DSLs ass in the downtown MPLS area, and you can take it with you if you wish. I think it's $60 a month ish, not sure about bandwidth caps.

Pete

pyrodogg
Site Admin

Postby pyrodogg » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:00 pm

orion wrote:what part of town

Western St. Paul

Marshall Ave & Prior Ave.

Booka
Global Moderator

Postby Booka » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:08 pm

I have been kinda shopping myself, I have a DSL, but I use an ISP to provide a static IP address (which I no longer need).

I have no real complaints about the DSL, now the phone line is crap, but Qwest / CenturyLink assures me it is in my house, which I have now rewired twice from the internal block on.

I was thinking Comcast for a while, but two of my neighbors have phone through them, and the truck is now a weekly visitor to our block.

I am beginning to agree with a some of the regulars at the shop I volunteer at, that somebody needs to start a basic ISP that does just what it needs, no Clouds, or Colo's, or Subway shops in the lobby..

Make sure you post what you decide, it may be useful..

pyrodogg
Site Admin

Postby pyrodogg » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:19 am

Oh god I would love a simple no-bs, here's your internets plan.

The only company i've really been looking at so far has been Comcast, since it's what I had last/am familiar with. I'll check out CenturyLink too. I just thought I'd check my amazing maker resources first.

Thanks.

I'll be sure to post what I end up going with.

orion
Site Admin

Postby orion » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:05 am

I have had good internet service from comcast but support is.....

smittex

Postby smittex » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:21 pm

I've got comcast as well; they supposedly have a 250gb/mo cap but I've signifficantly gone over that for 2 months without any warning or adverse side effects (yet). Also, they employ packet shaping techs so you cant saturate your bandwidth for roo long. They offer a business class for a little more without the cap, but idk about the packet shaping on that tier.

pyrodogg
Site Admin

Postby pyrodogg » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:36 pm

orion wrote:I have had good internet service from comcast but support is.....

I think they accidentally a service department. lol

kstoerz

Postby kstoerz » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:36 pm

I've been very happy with USI Wireless, especially considering the price. But you're on the wrong side of the river to take advantage of that...

Return to “Off Topic”