Aluminum Foundry Mk III

Links and information on projects by local makers
otto_pjm

Re: Aluminum Foundry Mk III

Postby otto_pjm » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:08 pm

bobble wrote:curious... what items are going to be cast?

My list would include:
  • A replacement bracket that sets / adjusts the table angle for the disc side on the new (to us) sander in the wood area. We have the old one Steven repaired and the other side to use as models.
  • A bottom cover dust collection fitting for the belt side of the sander.
  • Maybe some 4" dust collection blast gates. Metal ones are much nicer, we've busted a bunch of the plastic ones.
  • TCMaker trinkets / schwag of some sort to sell / give away at events perhaps a bottle opener.
  • A PowerWheelz hood ornament

Pete

Orkraider

Postby Orkraider » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:54 pm

for me, field point arrow heads, hunting bladed arrow heads, roller coaster bearing housings for my next mini and large floating arm trebuchet, wheels and various fittings for same, bearing housings and many parts for my cnc router build, most of the parts for a gingery metal lathe, step pullys for some other tools I want to make, including an improved ball mill, most of the components for a muller (a machine used to refresh metal casting green sand), a lot of the parts for a spindle sander I want to make, metal casting flasks for more and better fun with metal casting, custom pistol grip style handle for a take down longbow, ditto for a compound bow, parts for a ballista, projectiles for all the siege engines I make, and some artsy stuff.
That's off the top of my head as I"m tired, but you get the idea.

Riley
Riley Harrison
facebook.com/rileyharrison

darus67

Postby darus67 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Continued construction of the Aluminum Foundry tonight. Last week I put down the layer of refractory on the bottom and left it to cure. This week I made a form out of cardboard to define the hollow center and started filling in the walls. The remaining furnace cement I had made enough refractory to build up the walls about 1/3 of the way. I'll have to pick up a couple more buckets of furnace cement and finish the walls next time.

Once the walls are dry I'll cut the hole for the air pipe. Then it's time to build a small fire in it and gently heat the whole works to make sure it's fully cured.

rigger

Aluminum Foundry Mk III

Postby rigger » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:31 pm

BADGES. I want to cast some steenkin' badges.
Work. Wander. Rest when I can.

Booka
Global Moderator

Postby Booka » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:12 pm

I did not see it as an entry when I searched, but somebody had mentioned that extruded aluminum was a good thing. and I can buy the heatsinks at FreeGeek for scrap prices. So we have a box now, if somebody wants to get some stock.

www.freegeektwincities.org

Return to “Local Maker Projects”