Site Logo

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hack Factory Facility Updates and Questions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

Booka wrote:
Wammie, what was the ink cartridge number, or if you can tell me for certain it was a Design Jet 600?

I will check to see if we have any ink cartridges in the recycle bin.
Yes, it is for certain a DesignJet 600.

Post subject: Does anyone own/lay claim to Viewsonic CRT?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

All,

In the classroom we have a Viewsonic 20" CRT, located in the audio corner, near the working PC. A group of us would like to purpose this for the MAME arcade project. We've put a sticker on it to claim for this project.

If you own or have otherwise purposed this CRT for something else, please post. Otherwise we'd like to take it for the MAME project.

We're targeting a usage date of 9/1; please post before then if you have a prior claim on this monitor.

Thanks!

Post subject: Lounge addition: Operation game
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, I bought a normal-sized Operation game and brought it to the lounge. Thought it would be fun to have that as a complement to our super-sized one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

Anyone know WTF would be smelling like paint fumes in the classroom this evening?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:22 am 

Tore apart one of the "broken" vacuums. One of the brushes was stuck so I cleaned it up with some sand paper and put it back together. Still needs a new cord and cleaning. Tested it out on the small conference room. I don't know if its the dirt that has been built up or if the motor is running hotter, but it kinda smells. It doesn't help that I'm allergic to dust mites and by the time I got it back together I was sneezing up a storm.

happyk

Post subject: Can we buy a 3' convex mirror for $30?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

ATTENTION HACK FACTORY SHOP MANAGERS:

I was at a surplus store supplies place (next to Litton Paper by the Mpls. Farmer's Market on Lyndale), and found a large, used convex mirror of the type you'd see in department stores. Metal and sturdy, but without mounting arm and hardware. It looked to be 3 feet in diameter.

This would be extremely useful at many places in the Hack Factory. The surplus place would charge $30. Brandon said I'd need approval from a shop manager to make this purchase and apply our Springboard for the Arts non-profit ID for a discount.

Can any of you afford $30 out of your budget for this? Or does anyone (shop manager or not) want to pitch in a donation to purchase this?

Sounds like an extremely good bargain for something that would add great value to the space!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:30 pm 

Can you give an example use case for this mirror? I'm not picturing it.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

mcsteve wrote:
Can you give an example use case for this mirror? I'm not picturing it.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk
Place it in the upper corner of wood shop or metal shop areas; shop managers and others can observe activity happening behind them. Place it angled between maiin shop area and wood shop; people in either area can see others approaching or leaving. I'm sure there are other locations where it would be useful.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:55 am 
Site Admin

Thanks to everyone who helped out with the quarterly cleaning effort at the Hack Factory! It's looking pretty spiffy!

Yesterday I continued with the classroom area and did some mopping.

I re-powered the network switch there on the electronics bench side, which had been switched off via the outlet strip. We have wired Internet again on that side.

I also resurrected the PC that had once been used for the MakerBot, as there is a different PC used for it presently. It sits near the audio equipment. I did all Ubuntu 11 system updates. The machine is a bit of a slug, but can at least be used for browsing or mp3/streaming audio source for the shop sound system.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:22 am 
Site Admin

A few days ago I was able to find an audio cord that worked to connect the PC audio out to the stereo/radio amplifier. PC out is connected to the aux input and this patch is visible in front. To use PC output, all a person needs to do is dial the input selector to external/aux. I've added direction to a sticker on the stereo.

Related to this, does anyone know if shop speakers have been, or can be, configured independently from the classroom speakers to both produce mono output, since they are each stationed now in different areas? Could someone configure this?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next