Time to work on our "book"

Area for developing group projects, such as workshop equipment
User avatar
swinkdaddy
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Contact:

Re: Time to work on our "book"

Postby swinkdaddy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:41 am

Bringing some of those binders to tonites meeting.
Have kilt, will travel...

User avatar
rigger
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:14 pm
Location: Minnetonka, MN

Time to work on our "book"

Postby rigger » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:09 am

Work. Wander. Rest when I can.

User avatar
Orkraider
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:14 am
Location: downtown Saint Paul

Re: Time to work on our "book"

Postby Orkraider » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:09 pm

Excellence!

Riley
Riley Harrison
facebook.com/rileyharrison

User avatar
Odegard
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 3:46 pm
Location: South Minneapolis
Contact:

Time to work on our "book"

Postby Odegard » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:14 pm

I shall bring my preliminary template design as a discussion assist. A couple sample write ups would be good to have during development. How many photo holes, how many words, what categories of info (maker name, project title, materials used, completion date, and a write up of development process and function), anything else seen as key info for such a book entry?


---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.852785,-93.281687
- Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Christopher Odegard

User avatar
wammie
Site Admin
Posts: 1444
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Time to work on our "book"

Postby wammie » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:49 pm

I'd like to work with this too. I'm at a meeting now so might not be in to the H.F. until 7:30 or so.

User avatar
rigger
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:14 pm
Location: Minnetonka, MN

Re: Time to work on our "book"

Postby rigger » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:18 am

Thanks to everyone who sat down to discuss this last night. I'm excited about the enthusiasm and the ad hoc team that's formed around this.

I'm going to be working on drafting a "creative brief" for the project--but that will only serve to record and focus what we've already discussed. No need to wait for that to keep plugging on.

I'm happy with the general outline for the "software" and, particularly given that it's outside my area of competence, I look forward to seeing what Bryan comes up with. I neglected to say so last night, but I believe Steffan (sp?) has a lot to offer on the UI/client side of that effort--I didn't mean to exclude him from a workgroup. (And nobody should be discouraged from poling into any area of this that interests them--there's a lot to be learned from this project.) Riley will be liaising with the other database project to keep us "complementary" to that effort and I know he will willingly add his expertise to our coding effort if asked.

Chris took a copy of my prototype design and I'm speculating that he'll be merging some ideas from my mock up with his own elegant layout. I defer to his superior design sense and look forward to a group critique of the result in coming weeks. If someone else wants a hand in that aspect of the project, talk to Chris.

Meanwhile, in something I *can* weigh in on, I'm looking forward to working closely with Chris and Jen on creating the "perfect questions" we ask to solicit the information needed to create a page. It strikes me that this might slot in nicely with our plan to hand roll 20-25 write-ups to kickstart the project. We have opportunity to create 5 versions of our form and apply 5 projects to each. Submission can be hand-written, email or, if the tech exists, as quick-and-dirty web survey ilke that we implemented for the MiniMaker Faire post-mortem. We also need to compile a list of "likely suspects"--projects that we definitely want to see documented. (Answer in the long run is "all of them" but some need to lead us into the fray.)

To those who missed last night's meeting don't despair. It's our intention that this ad hoc group maintain transparency--all general meetings will be open. (We can't promise that some working sessions won't take place privately, but that will be a function of the ad-hoc, rapid-fab nature of the project and not intended to exclude anyone.)

Please feel free to attend our next meeting--we will hold a 15-30 minute gathering most Wednesdays. Does the group have a strong preference as to time? 7? 7:30? We'll likely keep meeting in the art studio unless another activity pre-empts us. Attendance is not "mandatory"--no need to make a special trip to the HF unless you feel strongly about doing so.

If meetings don't work for you, continue to comment and critique here in the forum (particularly as prototypes begin to emerge). We welcome the input, but please understand that we're committed to getting this up and running sooner rather than later. I don't foresee a lot of scope creep (though we're trying to design with the possibility of future projects in mind.) There is only one "credo" set in stone for the project:

Minimal Production = Maximum Content

We need to make this easy or people aren't going to bother.

Jeff
Work. Wander. Rest when I can.

User avatar
wammie
Site Admin
Posts: 1444
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Time to work on our "book"

Postby wammie » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:29 am

Wish I could've made the meeting last night but my time was devoted to testing the classroom plotter. I really want to contribute, though this week and next is very busy for me personally and I may not have much time to work with it.

User avatar
wammie
Site Admin
Posts: 1444
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Time to work on our "book"

Postby wammie » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:51 pm

7:30 on Wednesdays works for me! Go team!

User avatar
smittex
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:07 am

Re: Time to work on our "book"

Postby smittex » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:11 am

Can someone upload or email me the templates that were created? I'm about to start the programming on them. email: handle @ gmail...

User avatar
Odegard
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 3:46 pm
Location: South Minneapolis
Contact:

Re: Time to work on our "book"

Postby Odegard » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:32 pm

I had the templates with me last Wednesday, but I never made a point of sharing them off my USB drive. Since Smittex and Wammie both have asked to see and work with the template (as it currently stands) I'll post them here:

Sample Layout
PDF sample showing placeholder text
Template Only, no text (in various formats)
PDF template
SVG template
EPS template
TCM Logo Only (in various formats) as used in the template samples
PDF format
SVG format
EPS format
Christopher Odegard


Return to “Group Projects”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest