Site Logo

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: What do we have? An equipment and skills inventory
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:07 am 

i have the woodgears bandsaw plan, and have converted most of it into english measurements (although i may still build it in metric) and was planning on building (2) (one for me to figure out the plan, and a nice one for the shop) if anyone want's to help i'm aiming to start in may.

there are also (2) bandsaws in theory donated to us, im' unsure on the size of one, the other i'll follow up again with the donor.

and you too can add a tool to the wiki!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:20 am 

To add to the potential for band saws, I have two of these

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/ ... px?id=3759
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/ ... px?id=9383

one is operational, the other nearly so. I bought the second in order to scavenge parts for the first (the table with the miter slot specifically). If I could get help with setup/tuning of the first, I will donate the second to the HF. It would need one or more tires, a new blade, and possibly new cooling blocks & bearings.

They are a step up from the 8" or 10" little band saw currently at the HF but not as big or as sturdy as standard cast iron 14" band saws.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:21 pm 

Hey everyone,

I've stumbled upon a nice looking ajax FOSS inventory application designed around hackerspaces that I think would be a great addition to TCM so we can better organize tools, parts, skils, etc.

The project is hosted at https://github.com/timoahummel/PartKeepr

You can view a demo @ http://demo.partkeepr.org/ (js needed)

I've read somewhere in the forums that someone is creating a database, but I can't find it now as to ascertain its status.

Can the responsible party/ies let us know what the status is on that? And/Or lend me your thoughts on implementing this application?

Also, to follow suit with other posts, here's my donations, loans, and items I can donate/share:
Donated
  • Kegerator
  • P4 2+ GHz, 2+ GB RAM, HDD w/ Ubuntu 11.04 Computer

Loan
  • USRP + 9 Daughterboards
  • 3 Antennae
  • Switching PS

Items Available to Loan/Donate/Share if there's interest
  • An extensive glassware set
  • Heating Mantles, Stir plates, etc.
  • Lots of chemicals that do cool stuff
  • 1000x microscope
  • Centrifuge
  • Oscilloscope
  • 30 MHz Spectrum Analyzer
  • 5MHz Arbitrary Function Generator
  • Freq. Counter
  • Triple Output Digital Benchtop Power Supply
  • Uniden Bearcat 895XLT Radio Scanner (Partially modified to supply IF)
  • Digital SMT rework station, Griddle & Toaster for reflow work
  • MUCH more, just ask

I also have tons of electronic parts for sharing/sale/etc.; PM me if you'd like access.

Edit: I would request some kind of access control for some of the more expensive items. I know there hasn't been a precedent of things walking off, but recent issues with the gate and other lack of respect warrants some control over items I've worked hard to acquire.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

smittex wrote:
Edit: I would request some kind of access control for some of the more expensive items. I know there hasn't been a precedent of things walking off, but recent issues with the gate and other lack of respect warrants some control over items I've worked hard to acquire.
Awesome stuff! Yeah, access control is an issue that we're working on, but the bottom line of course is that TC Maker cannot be responsible if things do walk off; members are cautioned to make careful considerations regarding precious items they would not want to part with or do not have insured for themselves. If security conditions are such that you are not comfortable with leaving a particular item in the space, I'd suggest not leaving it there until the security is situated to your satisfaction (within the limits of what we're able to provide).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:06 am 

Am I really the first new member since August? :)

I'm Chris, I was at the Open House this week, although Wayne monopolized me most of the night. Turned out we had a very interesting mutual acquaintance.

I'm basically a software / open source geek. I've done a fair bit of circuit design, but until recently, somebody else did most of the implementation. I'm hopeless with a soldering iron! Ok, I can just about splice wires together or solder a lead onto a lug, but it's usually messy.

I sling code to keep the snow off. Python and C are my languages of choice. I also have a painful amount of experience with LabVIEW. I know enough C++ and Javascript to be dangerous, but I wouldn't claim to have great facility with them.

I've worked quite a lot with microcontrollers, both PIC and AVR/Arduino. I've picked up lot of circuit design skills on the way, but there's still basic stuff that's mysterious to me. Oh, and I can't solder to save my life. Hoping to get that fixed :)

I've been using Linux since before version 1.0, when a distribution came on a huge stack of 3.5 inch floppies. I'm run small networks for student groups, and my main desktop at home, so I can do most administration tasks, although probably not with the facility of a real sys admin.

I'm familiar with HTML and Apache administration, but most of my web skills are stuck in the 90s, sorry. I'm playing around with some of the lighter Python-based web frameworks, but I never much cared for the web as a development target. God, what a mess!

Some other open source tools I have facility with:

Inkscape (vector graphics)
GSchem (circuit schematic capture)
Graphviz (graph visualization)
VisualPython
Open Office

I'll be menacing the HF again this evening to try to cast off some of my clumsiness with the iron. Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:27 am 

Welcome Chris! I'd like to point out that we've started an electronics night not too long ago that's taking place on Monday evenings. Some things we're doing is soldering, microcontrollers (so far, just Arduino, but I'd like to expand it to PICs, AVR, etc,) ARM systems, FPGAs, etc. I'm looking forward to meeting you! Looks like we have a lot in common...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:15 am 

Yeah, I'm aware of Monday's "EHack Night", and I'll attend those as well. I may bring in a kit or two to work on if I've worked up enough confidence.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:59 am 
Site Admin

It would be awesome for you to come by on Monday!

I've also been working on honing my soldering skills and kit building is probably the best practice you can get. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Chris, and welcome again! I enjoyed our conversation on Wednesday; it was great to learn about your work with biomedical sensors and electronics. Thanks for reading the posting guidelines and finding this thread :D . Not everyone who joins on the bulletin board or as a paid member goes about putting a post here.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:09 pm 

Hi there
Call me Justin
I am a new member since nov. I have brought in to the metal area:
a Hobart 250 Commercial welder
A Powcon 300 stick/tig welding power source with tig accesories
2HP belt sander (and some belts)
Anvil
various stumps for shaping/forming
3 bar roller
Beverly Shear
English wheel
HvyDty Bead roller with some custom rolls
Box of stakes and forms
Box of plattening hammers
Roper whitney #17 sheet metal punch Attached to a stand w/bar anvil
Whitney Jensen mini (#5) sheet metal punch
Hex roll up tool box

I have done professionally:
Welding: Mig, Tig, Stick
Blacksmithing: Art, craft, Architectural Ornamentation
General Fabricator: custom fab, structural, Industrial prototyping, Props, Arch Orn
Armorer: Full speed full contact combat protection, museum quality collectibles, Collectable art, Costume (ancient age to SCI FI)
Martial arts
Security

I have studied at one time:
Physics
Theoretical Physics
Archeology
Anthropology
Basic Machining: Lathe, Mill, Press brake, punch press,etc
Minimal requirement Sustainability
General and Radio Electronics
Architecture

I am interested in:
Bionics
Robotics
Zombie traps: making any home or location Zombie proof
Space exploration
Play area and item design
Constitutional Democracy free of corporate influence and done right

I am curious about:
EVERYTHING

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next