Site Logo

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Interest in Upright MAME Cabinet for HF?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:52 pm 

OK, so now we have to put Gauntlet on the thing. If we are just doing MAME proper, we don't need a lot of power for the PC to drive it. Do we have all the parts lined up yet?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:45 am 

Wammie,
I don't know you by face yet, so if it's not too much trouble, could you make yourself known tonight? I'll probably be in the foyer by the ham equipment for a good portion of the night.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:00 am 
Site Admin

smittex wrote:
Wammie,
I don't know you by face yet, so if it's not too much trouble, could you make yourself known tonight? I'll probably be in the foyer by the ham equipment for a good portion of the night.

Thanks!
Sure. I'm V.P. on the board and we have a meeting tonight, which I think will be held in the foyer as well. I have a mustache, beard, and funky glasses (well, that might not narrow the field very much).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:22 am 
Site Admin

cgallaty wrote:
OK, so now we have to put Gauntlet on the thing. If we are just doing MAME proper, we don't need a lot of power for the PC to drive it. Do we have all the parts lined up yet?
The machine is in working order, so CRT power should be fine from the existing power supply; we just need to subsitute VGA output from the computer for the VGA signal point in the game. We have some members with TV tech experience who should be able to arrange this.

Though the project can be documented on our wiki, I'd like also to attach a clipboard project log to the cabinet so folks who work on various parts of the build can record what they've done (also when), what might need to be finished by others, questions, problems, etc. We could prioritize which parts are to be worked first, i.e., do we want to make sure we have basic functionality first, before concentrating on cabinet improvements?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Smittex for $20 toward the arcade purchase and Obi-Bob for $5! Much appreciated! I should be at the H.F. this Saturday a while for the cleanup, so if anyone else wants to pitch in, let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:04 am 

Does anyone know the specs of the new cabinet? Does anyone have any plans for it yet? I've been meaning to start taking pics and documenting it, but have just forgotten the last couple of times. I'd like to propose getting a computer installed in it with wifi and start loading it with emulators and roms.

Last I knew n64 wasn't too great, has there been any progress with that? I've got an idea of using an fpga to emulate the r2000(?) Mips CPU found in n64 to increase usability, but that will require quite an undertaking...

In all, I'd like to see arcade, Atari, nes, snes, n64, and have the option to use original controllers wirelessly. Adding an external video output would be nice to hook it up to a projector.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:38 am 
Site Admin

smittex wrote:
Does anyone know the specs of the new cabinet? Does anyone have any plans for it yet? I've been meaning to start taking pics and documenting it, but have just forgotten the last couple of times. I'd like to propose getting a computer installed in it with wifi and start loading it with emulators and roms.

Last I knew n64 wasn't too great, has there been any progress with that? I've got an idea of using an fpga to emulate the r2000(?) Mips CPU found in n64 to increase usability, but that will require quite an undertaking...

In all, I'd like to see arcade, Atari, nes, snes, n64, and have the option to use original controllers wirelessly. Adding an external video output would be nice to hook it up to a projector.
Bryan, this all sounds great to me! I'm sure you're aware, but I just wanted to restate, that the arcade game is in working order, so it's functionally now more than the cabinet. Probably some specs/schematics for this can be found online. As far as I'm concerned, whatever can be added to make the machine powerful and flexible is fine. I'd like though, if we can, to utilize the existing CRT power and VGA interfacing, and see how well that CRT performs. Otherwise if we do have that Trinitron CRT, I'd like to substitute that. But also, of course, if it's too much trouble to leverage existing CRT electronics, I'm OK with gutting it entirely. Can we set up a work session for this? My goal for that would be to see if we can interject an external VGA signal and display it on the monitor, to settle on some ideas for hardware, or actually dedicate some hardware for the project. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:06 am 

A brainstorming session would be terrific. Would next Wednesday be a good time to setup a meeting like the portfolio meeting we did last night? I'm thinking: send out an email to get other's attention/participation/donation... I think we should have the internals documented (for preservation!) and a working prototype BEFORE we start doing major modifications to the cabinet or electronics. I think too many people jump in to a project without thinking first....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:56 am 

Gauntlet! Needs to happen, ZOMG!

"Orkraider needs food.. badly.

Wammie shot the food....."

riley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:14 am 

I can get one of these for around $80 w/ the PC/Xbox/PS3/Dreamcast adapters included

http://www.xgaming.com/store/arcade-joy ... -joystick/

Any interest?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next