Site Logo

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Group Build - Brainstorm Phase
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:05 am 

Jon, my thoughts on this build is that, it will hopefully not need to be assembled outside.

Hoping that we can design something that unbolts into sections and can be pretty compact for storage and travel.
Ultimately, nothing wider than our bay door.

As for storage, I vote we find an cheap enclosed trailer to house and transport it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:58 pm 

IMHO the problem with pedal-pub usage is the seating arrangement: the seats face inward. If you're driving this in a parade/show environment you probably want the motive power to be able to see and interact with the crowd, not have them looking at your backs. So probably a bus-type configuration is better (plus it won't be as wide, as there's no need for a bartender aisle in the center).

I've been thinking about a viking ship style, with an articulated dragon head. This will give us a nice open design so the pedalers won't have to sweat to death inside a body structure, and shields along the gunwales for signage and lights. I'll have some old-school renders up in a couple days...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:51 pm 

swinkdaddy wrote:
As for storage, I vote we find an cheap enclosed trailer to house and transport it.

How difficult would it be to build the thing on highway safe axles, disable the drive train, and it becomes it's own trailer? With the outer sections maybe folding into the middle.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:22 pm 

jtbarclay wrote:
How difficult would it be to build the thing on highway safe axles, disable the drive train, and it becomes it's own trailer? With the outer sections maybe folding into the middle.

Brilliant idea! A detachable axle from a salvaged trailer could do the trick. Something to look into.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:14 pm 

Re: simultaneity...

Would be cool to have foot "drones" having costumes whose costumes light up via e-fabric when the dragon breathes its firey wrath or have a stomp or blue-man -esque choreography controlling of the dragon's movements or fiery "breath" upon certain beats of a small ensemble of our members...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:07 am 

http://superpunch.blogspot.com/2011/09/ ... se-at.html

nerd-gasum on the streampunk octopus!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:50 am 

jtbarclay wrote:
swinkdaddy wrote:

I like this. And I most definitely want to be present at the DMV when it comes time to get a trailer registration issued!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:00 pm 

I posted a link to the fire breathing octopus on plus, brainfarted on putting it here, so thanks for doing that.

Ain't it cool!

I put a small number of my rough sketches on the wall near my slightly smaller pile of shi.. er, bowyers area, and will be putting more there as the mood hits.

Going forward with this, I'd like to take one small but definite and measurable step to getting this moving forward.

I would like all of those interested to doodle on a regular size piece of paper any ideas they have related to this project. Just one piece of paper, even just one doodle, but feel free to do more if you want.

I will collect any of these that are done tomorrow evening, and arrange them more artfully then I did my sketches.

This will give us something to point at as we talk, as well as reminding all of us what we're working on.

I love the idea of the axles, that's thinking outside the box and on the highway.

Riley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

I'm planning on dropping by the H.F. this evening. I'll see if I can sketch something.