Site Logo

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Expansion Equipment - adopt an item, aka Got a nice rack
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:45 pm 
Global Moderator

I have committed to help another member move a saw Friday, but otherwise I am available the remainder of the day (after 5 I have plans) And can also do it between 10 and noon Saturday or next Monday.

So what I can offer to be clear, 1 truck... (if it is not in Erie PA or farther :) and some assistance in moving the rack, it looks small enough that it will not threaten my bad back, so..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:58 am 

[Update, and question, are we ready to start?]
So as an update on the project in general, I believe we have what we need setup Paypal wise to receive donations in a way that wont cause extra work for the treasurer. We have had some difficulties getting the most current shop layout plan so we can estimate Racking needs and locations, but I believe we will have that shortly. The Member survey results are now available, and I think we are failrly well inline with the shop and space type needs, if your wiji board says otherwise, please let me know.

The next, and quite promissing auction is at a different auction vendor, has items in Blaine, Fridley and Burnsville.

http://auctions.machinesused.com/listin ... d+Shelving

There's quite a bit of racking and totes are included in some. Lockers are also available, as is a compressor that would be on the large side of appropriate for us. (15 HP piston type, 120 Gallon tank, with air dryer) it's nice but big, and would need some disassembly to move.

http://auctions.machinesused.com/listin ... =846979710

Unfortunately the auction ends on Tuesday, so time is awfully tight to get donations and shop. I'm willing to give it a try if others are available to help. We still could use volunteers with trucks especially, if we win racking we will need to move it out Monday or Tuesday the 27-28 for the Blaine and Fridely locations. If you have a truck and can commit to helping move items on those days please speak up!

Thanks

Pete

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:23 am 
Site Admin

I know we are not looking for tools right now but a selection of base sockets, pliers, screwdrivers, more than one hammer. I think this qualifies as infrastructure in that everyone uses them and we are sorely lacking. I also think we could fill alot of these in for very little cost. No i am not looking for "most of a set" donations, complete or not at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:15 pm 

and some crescent wrenches!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:56 pm 

Well, if you / we want the basic "infrastructural" hand tools stuff, here's a cheap in, tomorrow only Harbor Freight sale.

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wswidg ... ycode=1040

130 piece tool set $30
3 piece locking pliers $6
7 piece pliers set $9
4 piece crescent wrench set $12
13 piece screwdriver set $5

The deal is one set per coupon, per visit, so get to your local HF I guess.

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:52 pm 

I'd really rather focus on the big ticket boring stuff that no one really wants, but is required, however given the sale at Harbor Freight and the level of desire for some hand tools, I got a few items. In the interest of them staying moderately organized they have been loaded into the tool cart which is now parked in the new show area. I had a coupon for everything but hammers, so I used the 25% off coupon for them, and figured a set was the best bang for the buck. The quality of everything varies. The pliers are a bit light weight and the hammers were not ground with a great deal / any precisions.

The lot was just shy of $50 if anyone would like to contribute.

Pete

Attachment:
IMG_0823.jpg
IMG_0823.jpg [ 56.32 KiB | Viewed 1736 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0825.jpg
IMG_0825.jpg [ 61.13 KiB | Viewed 1736 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:09 pm 

Pete, you are, in fact, the man. I'll try to toss you a few bucks next time I see you.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:24 pm 

OK

I'd like to got this moving, although the upcoming auctions I'm aware of are distinctly short on Racking.

cgallaty, did you ever get transportation for the racking / shelves you posted about?

I plan to get the blog post up today. Paul I'll ping you on the thermometer thing, what I'm thinking is a few categories each with a goal. Something like this. I combined categories so we don't have so many to track, I hope this will work.

* Storage / Restroom renovation - $1700 - Racking, shelving with totes and / or locking storage for member tools and projects, rolling stairs for access. Restroom renovation.
* Air handling, Dust collection - $1500 - Shop floor fans, exhaust / venting for human comfort, Centralized dust collection equipment and air filtering to deal with cutting, grinding and spraying activities particulates
* Shop air Electrical power work - $1000 - A large air compressor, air drier, and piping to supply air drops for use through out the shop spaces. Ideally a large compressor rated for continuous use and multiple simultaneous users. Add more outlets to support the new shop space and the expansion of tools.

Thoughts / comments.

Thanks

Pete

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:00 pm 

I love the tools you bought and brought in , Pete, thanks for doing that.

I brought in a fistful of Phillips screw drivers and 5 each of 2 sizes of itty bitty drill bits.

That cost me about half the price of a latte, so if anyone wants to chip in, give it to Pete.

If I'm able to help haul anything, Pete, let me know.

Riley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:13 pm 

Pete

I really don't think we need look for air tool support.
While a set of air powered tools would be incredibly cool, they are not something almost all of our members would ever buy. The amount of money and time needed to support a set of Air tools would probably be better spent elsewhere for now at least.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next