Site Logo

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hack Factory Facility Updates and Questions
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:02 pm 

I just don't see how we can justify increasing the size of the wood and metal shops when electronics are still dumped into the "catch all" room. This needs to be fixed. And to be honest, I really don't see that many people in metal, besides George. I don't want it to go away or anything, but it begs the question why electronics folks don't get a non-ghetto dedicated area.

Also, is it in the lease that we're not allowed to solder in the chill out area?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:09 pm 

soldiersquared wrote:
But JWB you gotta admit that wood and metal by nature dictate a TON of space, I think the white walled upstairs classroom is perfect.

I'd agree and I think if you want 20 or 30 running feet by x wide in either wharehouse space, no one would complain, but I'm guessing you wouldn't like the neighbors. I use most areas and I don't see any plots to thwart electronics, or that the wood and metal people are commencing a land grab. Perhaps members with a more mono-interest focus see it differently. My understanding and goal that I work towards is mobility, modularity, and sufficient storage. If we need to host Solder-Con 2011 and get 60 soldering workstations up and going, that's legitimate and should be doable, and the wood and metal stuff would get packed in to make it happen. As they do if we have events etc today.

I'm all for some dedicated solder and electronic stations, and I use them, such as when I'm making signs for the space. I think as much as possible these should be modular too, not only so they can be moved if something needs to take over the classroom, but also so they can be moved where needed when Solder-Con comes to town, or when we need to teach an overflow class in solder 101, or kit building etc.

I think you may mistake people doing what they perceive needs to be done for an assualt on electronics. I have pointed out solder and rework stations, fume hood lab benches etc for acquisiton in the past and heard nothing, no interest. You do need to advocate for what you feel is important, I think the photo area is a great example of that happening I'm not sure why the electronics space isn't happen as you'd like, but nothing speaks like direct action and proactive communication of your goals.

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:47 pm 

It's just very frustrating being stuck in that hot little room with 20 other people while 2 people work in the giant wood shop and the metal shop stands empty.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:23 pm 

I don't want the front area used for anything but lounge, presentation area, and maybe (very very maybe) soft crafts. Mostly because I'm the guy who volunteered to vacuum, and damned if I want to be trying to get solder and bits of wire out of the carpet.

The classroom is the perfect space for electronics. The lounge has been moved, so let's get the stuff out of the basement and back upstairs. Then, let's get the classroom cleaned up and organized, so it looks as good as the art space...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:32 pm 

Keep in mind, as well, we had a member lobbying loudly, forcefully, and repeatedly for a lounge area.

The classroom is the best lit place in the space, with the most power outlets, and lots of nice flat tables to work on, with the best separation from metal grinding dust and sawdust. If I'm working with electrics or electronics, that's where I do it.

And yeah, often the metal area is empty, with the exception of George, Kent, Pete, Joshua, Justin, Kelly, Karin, Peter, John, Riley, Nick, Stephen, Steve, Karl, and the others I see there who's names I don't know.

As far as the wood area, I can't speak to that, for I also only ever see 2 people working in there.

For reals.

Riley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:56 am 

jwb wrote:
It's just very frustrating being stuck in that hot little room with 20 other people while 2 people work in the giant wood shop and the metal shop stands empty.

So just to be clear, what in your mind would be perfect? Because the current upstairs classroom gets small quick, but has walls! That sawdust outside the door invades everything, and the metal has to be latched to that bay door because those fumes could kill you. I just don't see a better way without the giant and controversial task of putting up more walls and ceiling in another area. Which I'm fine with, I'll help but I'm just not sure what you are proposing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:23 am 

Quote:
Keep in mind, as well, we had a member lobbying loudly, forcefully, and repeatedly for a lounge area.

No one told me we couldn't do any actual work in the lounge area, I never asked or advocated for that. In a perfect world, the hacking and social areas should be combined. Kinda like the classoom, only not sucky.

Quote:
And yeah, often the metal area is empty, with the exception of George, Kent, Pete, Joshua, Justin, Kelly, Karin, Peter, John, Riley, Nick, Stephen, Steve, Karl, and the others I see there who's names I don't know.

Other than George, I almost never see anyone working in there. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I'm in at least once a week and I never see any of those people besides George working in there. Not saying we should close it down, but I haven't seen a compelling argument why it should be expanded other than that we just got a lot of new space.

Quote:
So just to be clear, what in your mind would be perfect?

I'd like to see the cage area made into a proper hacking area, with a tarp keeping some of the sawdust out. Have it be all CNCing, fabbing, and electronics, with some chairs and couches along with work tables.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:02 am 

[quote="soldiersquared"]Image

Whew!! Okay, I just gutted and cleaned this machine, swapped both sanding pads and remounted it with the provided bolts. It cleaned up good, I'm happy with it.

2 problems.

1) Couldn't find a large enough hex wrench to properly mount those bolts so I did my best with a pliers. So somebody needs to finish that if they find the proper tool.

2) The miter platform for the disk (not belt) sander was snapped at a joint that mounts to the base. When I placed the two metal pieces together the seam appeared to be flush and fixable. I left the pieces on a welding table. A more skilled welder could fix it in 15 minutes, so PLEASE do so if you are such a person. Then I can remount it, even though anybody could figure out how to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:39 am 

Everyone gravitates to the "classroom" for hacking and electronics stuff already. There's a bunch of reasons why it's the best spot for that, as stated above.

The loungy stuff got taken out of there specifically to make more room for the activities JWB described.

What else is needed to improve that space? I know air conditioning, but what else?

Why would we want to start from scratch in unfinished space when that room is already most of the way there?

Where is the electronics / hacking equipment that we need to make room for?

Once we have it, I'll be a staunch advocate for making space for it, but I don't see it yet.

Riley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:47 am 

Obviously we seem to need a little more discussion on the classroom/lounge/electronics space issues. Can we get these posts split into a new thread, though? It started as a brief aside, but if it's going to keep going than the discussion should probably be moved.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next