Site Logo

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hack Factory Facility Updates and Questions
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, better that we not flux with the fume situation, lest we flux up the relationship.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:43 pm 

It's very possible that Paul might have been thinking of Chromium, Iridium, Molybdenum, Niobium, Platinum, Rhodium, Tantalum, Thorium, Titanium, Tungsten, Vanadium, or Zirconium, rather than Lead, as I have to get all of those over 3000 degrees Fahrenheit before I can get them to melt.

I won't do any of that in the front area either.

Riley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:40 pm 

Presumably he meant that the boiling point of lead is 3000 degrees, which is certainly plausible. I seem to remember it being closer to 3.5k, but at that temp, who's counting?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:24 pm 

Dude, that is so hot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:43 pm 

Orkraider wrote:
Dude, that is so hot.

... This just in, and also quite hot. We got a new (to us) combo disc and belt sander today. It needs some clean-up and a 220 power drop before it gets used, but it should be ready to go shortly. This is intended strictly for wood working, and is a pretty formidable tool so proceed with caution.

This is a new one, ours is not quite so fancy looking.

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:50 am 

I'm rated on this equipment and bring a high level of confidence to ANY wood tool, I will (with permission) gut it and clean it, replace the belt/disk and get it ready to rock. Just let me know if I have the go ahead.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:57 am 

soldiersquared wrote:

I'm rated on this equipment and bring a high level of confidence to ANY wood tool, I will (with permission) gut it and clean it, replace the belt/disk and get it ready to rock. Just let me know if I have the go ahead.

I think that's a great offer, the tool was bought by a group of members, but I can't see anyone not wanting it up and running as soon as possible. It will need 220 to become operational, I think Jude or John would be the folks to talk to on that front. Also once it's cleaned up and ready to go, it will need a pretty aggressive dust collection plan. I have a manual from a newer version with DC, this one has none, that I think we can emulate and model some DC parts on. I'll send it to you, and try to get a printed version stuck to the machine.

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:29 am 

So, once again electronics fans get the shaft. First we were dumped in the basement, now we're stuck the classroom even after the space doubles in size. Where is our area? Why don't we get the same amount of space as the wood and metal folks?

And of course, any time we try to make our own area, "do-ocracy" style, we're told the board, or the landlord, or "folks" don't want us to.

I'm beginning to wonder if us electronics aficionados need to split off and get our own hackerspace. This is like the 1000th time we've been dissed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:43 am 

jwb wrote:
So, once again electronics fans get the shaft. First we were dumped in the basement, now we're stuck the classroom even after the space doubles in size. Where is our area? Why don't we get the same amount of space as the wood and metal folks?

And of course, any time we try to make our own area, "do-ocracy" style, we're told the board, or the landlord, or "folks" don't want us to.

I'm beginning to wonder if us electronics aficionados need to split off and get our own hackerspace. This is like the 1000th time we've been dissed.

I want you guys to get the current classroom so we can use the two front offices, downstairs fridge area and I think about gutting the surplus supply area, moving it to the new chain link area, wall it off and give that as dedicated teaching room. I don't think we have the space to have a huge classroom so 2-3 little ones is my offer. But yeah, I think ALL electronics should be moved into the white classroom area.

But JWB you gotta admit that wood and metal by nature dictate a TON of space, I think the white walled upstairs classroom is perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:44 am 

Who's "we"? I'm a big fan of getting the soldering/o-scope bench moved back in to the classroom, but other than that current deficiency, I personally think the classroom makes an excellent working environment for my electronics projects. Decent lighting, big tables, power at every table, and hopefully we can get the scopes, power supplies, and etc. moved back up from the basement. Wherein lies the problem?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next