Site Logo

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Open House Sign
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:28 am 

Quote:
Pete, note that recent revision of the door sign above.

Yep, I was at the space, and thus had no Internet access, so I had to go with an older version, which I already had. I'll use the newer version for the next attempt.

Thanks

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:36 pm 

That sign is awesome. I saw it last night- I didn't literally saw it though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:02 am 

Worked on using the new Vee bit in plex to make an edge lit test piece.

The current working thoughts are.

12" long strips of surface mount LEDs from Axman.
12" long pieces of some double track aluminum extrusion (maybe from shower doors, it was laying on the dock)

The LED strip goes in a piece of the aluminum track on each side of a 12" tall x 10" wide piece of plex with one letter engraved into it. A second letter goes into the second track of the dual track AL extrusion behind the first.

I can't post a drawing, but hopefully the idea is clear, you end up with two layers of letters in plex.

Hack Factory - on one
tcmaker.org - on the other, might be off center as there are 12 vs. 11 letters (or spaces) [Wayne won't let us make HackFactory one word :)]

I carved a few letters to test things out, next step would be to fire up the LED strips and get a lighted test working, (there are 4 of the strips at the HF, so we could fully test one panel assuming that we light both sides of each letter)

If you want to help talk with Jude, or me.

Oh, Jude and I had a design moment (yes you should be afraid) and picked the "MS Trebuchet" font in honor of Riley prodigous weoponry work. It's Similar to the font's on the signs Wayne posted, but a bit cleaner.... Sorry I can't discribe fonts to save my life, but vist a Windows box if you want to see it.

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:27 pm 
Global Moderator

The Aluminum channel that was on the dock was a donation from a possible future member, he stopped one day when JRSPhoto and I were there, and had a truck of scrap, we picked up a couple things. So it works for the sign.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:55 am 

Here's a test of the edge lighting with a single LED strip, the Letter is 10" wide and 12" tall.

Attachment:
edge_light_t.jpg
edge_light_t.jpg [ 32.33 KiB | Viewed 2347 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:56 am 
Site Admin

Oooh, very pretty picture! The real thing must be stunning!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:39 pm 
Global Moderator

Very nice.

I dropped off a white vinyl Hack Factory sign to be put on the front door until this or whichever project gets built. I think that if we are going the routed message way, we should also do the Open House sign similar to that too, so I will let that be done by somebody else too.

IMO all hacker spaces should have constructed signs, the vinyl was just a stop gap, and I am glad to see that this is going forward as quickly as it has.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:23 pm 

I'm pleased with how it is coming along, but it's far from complete. So far I have one completed letter that can be used, and enough LED strips for four total letters.

In short, I could use some help. With what you ask?
Glad you asked? there will be 23 lit letters in total, that need.

• Cutting the plex into 12" x 10" pieces ( I know how but haven't cut any yet )
  • buying more LED strips from Axman 4 for $7.50 Have 4 so far.
  • designing and building the AL extrusion edge and mount (talk with Jude)
  • a 24v DC power supply, and control which drives each set of letters (set on, set off I'm thinking)
  • routing the letters
  • polishing the edges
  • mount the LED and plex in the extrusion such that light leakage is minimized
I guess what I'm saying is I'd like to make this a group project. I'll keep working on it and do it, with Jude's help (I hope), but there's plenty to do and sooner would be better in my book.

If you want in, pick a task and give a shout, I'll get a thread or Wiki page started if there's interest.

Thanks

Pete

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:27 pm 
Global Moderator

I will see if I can catch up with you this weekend, as soon as I can. Cutting, etc is up my alley, channel cutting, etc..

I am game, and very interested in this happening. I can baby sit the CNC machine too, but doubt I could fire it up cold and cut yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:39 pm 

Booka,

That would be great. I should have some time this weekend.

I forgot this in my list of needs, it's more a tool really. Does anyone have a cloth buffing wheel? They are the tool to have to get the edges ready to act as a light pipe. I have a bench grinder we can mount it to (8" if I remember right)

Give a shout if you've got one to loan.

Thanks

Pete

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next