Site Logo

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Open House Sign
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:40 pm 

Orkraider wrote:
I like the look, a lot. especially the reddish looking one.

Has anyone priced copper sheet, rather than brass? I've made designs based on brass, and ended up using copper due to cost, and been pleased with the results; your mileage may vary.

Riley

yep, also hideously expensive.

Pete

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:04 am 
Site Admin

Alright, after several more hours of work in fine positioning and kerning, here is a shot with "MAKER SPACE." I've made text on either side of the logo to span the same distance and balance out visually. I also re-added "MAKE SHARE LEARN" which I dropped in the last graphic. Hey, would it be considered too cheesy to print this out on clear laminate plastic or something for the door? The PDF of this is on an 11x17 sheet and the graphic is about 16.5" wide.
Attachment:
Door Sign Outlines New.png
Door Sign Outlines New.png [ 64.19 KiB | Viewed 1672 times ]

[EDIT: See the post below for PDF and EPS versions.]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:15 am 
Global Moderator

My take on it would be to print it out on Vellum or the like, and use that as a template to hand paint it.

It looks great and as long as the letters are clear from the street, we should set.

Nice work Wammie.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:18 am 

It looks really really slick.

I'd like to see it on plastic on the door, that would look great until we get vinyl cut.

It wouldn't even have to be adhesive plastic, starbucks uses "clings" and they work great.

Can I get a copy of the raw file, I'm thinking I might want to t-shirt or animate that.

Very excellent, wammie.

Riley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:43 pm 

I offer to donate CNC routing services, if that fits with this project.

robocutcncrouter at gmaildotcom

-Jim Hart

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

Orkraider wrote:
It looks really really slick.

I'd like to see it on plastic on the door, that would look great until we get vinyl cut.

It wouldn't even have to be adhesive plastic, starbucks uses "clings" and they work great.

Can I get a copy of the raw file, I'm thinking I might want to t-shirt or animate that.

Very excellent, wammie.

Riley
Riley, the raw file is CorelDraw version 9. Do you want that or some other file format?

[EDIT: Here is A PDF VERSION an AN EPS VERSION. NOTE: Google Docs presents what appears to be half of a preview for the EPS version, but it's complete. Just choose File > Download original from the Google Docs page.]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:51 pm 

I finally found a narrower V bit for my router so I was trying to cut this out this evening to test out the bit. I don't want to start any holy wars literally or figuratively, but due to the intertubes being down at the HF, I used an older version of the sign for my test, I repeat this is only a test.

It's about 36" wide, if I put the line around the outside back on. ( My machine can do roughly 24" so thus the two pieces", Jim's has a 4' x 4' envelope I believe)

I plan to not plunge so deep so the twin lines of the letters don't run together as they do on the smaller letters here. Anyway, it shows promise.

Pete

Attachment:
TCMaker_test_sign.jpg
TCMaker_test_sign.jpg [ 58.06 KiB | Viewed 1636 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:22 am 
Site Admin

looks fancy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:25 am 

You should see the edges :) It's the scrap chip board / laminate from a "Zebra wood" armoire I junked. It's just what I had laying about, old screw holes and all. I was happy just to be making something, with house repairs and by-law wrangling it was nice to take a break and build something and use my CNC.

I'm interested in trying the bit in plex, per an idea of Jude's to make an edge light "Hack Factory" sign for under the chrome deco / moderne stripe above the front door. I'm a bit worried that the two sides of the letters won't get equal light, but we'll see.

BTW if anyone hase a 45 degree, or less than 60 degree router bit we can barrow / try that would be great.

Something I learned, the nice plastic cases that v-bits come in are really light, prone to be pulled into dust collection systems, and hard to catch even though you can see them progressing once inside said DC tubing. (If you've seen the newest Star Trek movie's "Scotty in the water tube" scene, you know exactly what it was like.)

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:25 am 
Site Admin

otto_pjm wrote:
I finally found a narrower V bit for my router so I was trying to cut this out this evening to test out the bit. I don't want to start any holy wars literally or figuratively, but due to the intertubes being down at the HF, I used an older version of the sign for my test, I repeat this is only a test.

It's about 36" wide, if I put the line around the outside back on. ( My machine can do roughly 24" so thus the two pieces", Jim's has a 4' x 4' envelope I believe)

I plan to not plunge so deep so the twin lines of the letters don't run together as they do on the smaller letters here. Anyway, it shows promise.

Pete
Pete, note that recent revision of the door sign above.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next