Site Logo

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Open House Sign
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:35 pm 

i like it. a lot. on the gold i'd meant gold with thin black line around it so you can still mostly see through, but i'm REALLY digging the 2nd one as a plaque. can any of our CNCs handle brass?

example of what i'd meant: http://starrstudios.org/portfolio/krist ... af-window/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:33 am 

Not sure why we need to coin a new term, maker shop. Plus, shop carries a specific connotation, like wood shop. The stuff that goes on in the Family Room -- most people would agree the FR is not a shop -- is thereby (and once again) delegitimized. When you went into the computer lab at school did you announce that you were going to the shop?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:52 am 
Site Admin

makershop, or maker shop is an established term here, I don't have a problem with it. Our group shyed away from hackerspace at the start but has seems to like it more as time goes on.

I don't think it's necessary to have AD in the date, If deemed necessary I would vote to have it changed to CE instead of AD.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:12 am 
Site Admin

paulsobczak wrote:
makershop, or maker shop is an established term here, I don't have a problem with it. Our group shyed away from hackerspace at the start but has seems to like it more as time goes on.

I don't think it's necessary to have AD in the date, If deemed necessary I would vote to have it changed to CE instead of AD.
Inclusion of letters was to make a visual balance on either side of the logo. The choice of "A.D." was hearkening to the style of industrial age signs, which was a good fit to the look and art. Both CE and AD refer to the same time based on the passing of a historical figure; the choice of which to use was made for the sake of integrity to the historical style.

If there would be those who for religious reasons take offense at "A.D." - I'm not aware that this is a big or urgent issue - I don't have a problem with a change to C.E. We have had this on our brochures and business cards for many months though and the ones we have will be around for a while.

Also, yes, "maker shop" is not new. It's been on our brochures and business cards for many months.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:10 am 

This looks awesome -- very cool aesthetic.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:29 am 

I pondered the ad/ce thing when I first saw our business card proofs, and again on the sign yesterday, and came to a similar conclusion each time as wammie, that its more apropo to be consistent with styling than overly pc. It seems olde fashioned.

-posted via Tapatalk on my G2 running Cyanogenmod 7.0.3
pardon the brevity and bonus typos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:58 am 
Global Moderator

I agree, either works for me, but consistency is better.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

The door sign will likely stay put over several iterations of business cards and brochures, so if we want to avoid the politically correct arguments altogether, here's a thumbnail of an alternate design with Metis' suggested style. The red interior can be transparent as well.
Attachment:
Door Sign Outlines No Border.png
Door Sign Outlines No Border.png [ 49.34 KiB | Viewed 1122 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:43 pm 

metis wrote:
i like it. a lot. on the gold i'd meant gold with thin black line around it so you can still mostly see through, but i'm REALLY digging the 2nd one as a plaque. can any of our CNCs handle brass?

example of what i'd meant: http://starrstudios.org/portfolio/krist ... af-window/

Yes, and as it happens I was looking at what brass sheet costs, holly crap! I'd suggest gluing on a foil on something less brass mass intensive.

I was actually looking at making a sign based on the Black and Gold version, I like the last one with the red better, but I may have to up the size of one or more of the fonts, there so skinny. If I can find a 30 or 45 degree v-bit that will help too, I just don't have one.

Pete

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:13 pm 

I like the look, a lot. especially the reddish looking one.

Has anyone priced copper sheet, rather than brass? I've made designs based on brass, and ended up using copper due to cost, and been pleased with the results; your mileage may vary.

Is there a possibility of making the letters more cnc bit friendly without losing the "Je ne comprends pas" of the piece? (if you don't understand what I mean, I surely can't help ya..)

I for one am happy with A.D. , CE, or whatever.

Would it be possible to see a version in mixed upper and lower case? Sometimes that can be easier to read than all caps, and make for faster name recognition.

I don't personally like "maker shop". It doesn't sound like us, to me.

Maker space does.

I'll take your word for it that it's been on our printed material for a bit, but I hadn't noticed it until now.

I'd really rather see "Maker Space".

Just for jollies, do the same experiment I did, and do a google search for each.

I'll save you the time, with links. Take a look at the results of each and tell me if one hints at a more relevant phrase than the other.

"maker shop"

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&source=hp&q=%22maker+shop%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=711da0863f755a&biw=990&bih=673

"maker space"

http://www.google.com/search?q=maker+space&hl=en#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&source=hp&q=%22maker+space%22&aq=f&aqi=g2g-s2g1&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=711da0863f755a&biw=990&bih=673

This isn't a huge deal to me, but I'd much rather discuss this than some other stuff, if you know what I"m sayin'.

Riley

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next