Site Logo

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Misplaced some soldering stuff
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:06 am 

At some point, probably when the electronics stuff got restored from the basement, I lost the tip sponge from my RadioShack digital soldering station, as well as a large plastic spool of RadioShack 60/40 (I think) solder. They need to reappear, if possible.

And as long as I'm on the subject, the tip of the aforementioned soldering iron seems to have been bent a little bit somehow, and is getting quite ratty looking. I recall that someone left the iron on at about 800 degrees unattended for a while, which probably contributed to the tip getting a little burned up. It would make me absolutely ecstatic if the people who use that iron could either scare up a new tip, or toss a few bucks my way.

I didn't have anything labeled, and the solder was pretty much just left there for anyone to use, so if it's all gone, that's fine. But I'm at a point right now where I simply can't afford even a small spool of solder. So if it is all used up and the people who used it would like to contribute to it's replacement, that too would make me ecstatic.

Note that I'm not upset about this, my soldering station is actually holding up better than I expected when I loaned it to the group over six months ago. I just need some help finding and figuring stuff out, because I am stupidly broke right now.

Post subject: Re: Misplaced some soldering stuff
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:46 am 
Site Admin

kind of on topic maybe but I was under the impression we were getting some soldering stations from the Global Hackerspace Challenge, any update on that?

Post subject: Re: Misplaced some soldering stuff
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:48 am 
Site Admin

kind of on topic maybe but I was under the impression we were getting some soldering stations from the Global Hackerspace Challenge, any update on that?
Quote:
from element14mirrored here
The Great Global Hackerspace Challenge will culminate in a live demonstration of each of the three semi-finalists in front of the panel of judges at the San Mateo Maker Faire. One team member from the final three hackerspaces will be flown out to California to attend the Faire and present their build. Air fare, hotel accommodation and daily food costs will all be covered by element14 - we'll provide more detail on this if you are selected.

In the spirit of collaboration over competition, and to thank you for taking part, element14 will be sending you a set of soldering equipment, including a soldering station, for your hackerspace once you have completed the challenge.