Site Logo

It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Help Wanted - Lazzor for Cyberoptics Machine
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:18 pm 

I won a 20W laser diode on ebay last night. I am willing to donate it if I can get others to donate money and time into designing and purchasing parts for the optics and power supply.

Post subject: Re: Help Wanted - Lazzor for Cyberoptics Machine
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:22 pm 
Global Moderator

How much can we cannibalize that Dental Laser Scott brought in?

It would be cool, we also need to set up a air / dust filter system, and move the unit outside the classroom.

Metis and I discussed moving the unit right outside the classroom so it can be viewed through the window, and we would need to set up a enclosure or "tent" if you will to protect that unit from outside dust and help capture fumes a such.

Anybody have any other thoughts? The Unit itself is not that loud, but the filtration system would make the classroom very noisy, so that is why I think we need to move it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:55 pm 

Booka wrote:
How much can we cannibalize that Dental Laser Scott brought in?

I haven't looked at it, but it all depends. If the medical laser also produces 808nm light, then some of the optics might be compatible.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:42 pm 

Hmm, laser, eh? Sounds like fun to me. If we can pull this off, I will naturally have to start referring to the machine as "The Shark."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:55 pm 

Wow, nice score, and thanks for sharing. That's really cool.

I'm all for it. The optics and optical alignment will be interesting especially with an invisible beam. What are you thinking optics wise? a fiber would get rid of most of the nasty alignment issues, and be safer to work around, one point of getting fried vs. several. I'm guessing the dental laser is fiber based, hopefully the power and wavelength would be compatible.
Does it have water cooling?
Can you tell us the make and model?
I was actually checking out some videos of Coherent 40 and 60 watt laser diodes of this type, suitable for light metal cutting, crazy stuff. I can't find it now but one guy was holding the fiber like a pencil and cutting a tin can with it.

Location wise, I think out of the classroom for sure, and at least a partial enclosure with ventilation.
I'm ready to help with whatever we need; time, money, effort, you may want to keep me away from any soldering though.

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:47 pm 

The dental laser has a fiber wand. There's a box somewhere near the laser unit that has a couple of spare fittings, some lengths of fiber and one of the wand assemblies (it's about the size of a ballpoint pen).

The laser unit itself is (IIRC) an American Dental Laser unit, from the mid-late '80s. The company is long since out of business. It's air-cooled as far as I know, there's no fittings for a water source or drain plugs on the unit (there might be something inside). It fires in pulses, and given that it was made for soft-tissue work in the oral cavity it's not built for long duty cycles. I don't remember what the wavelength is, but it's quite probably right around 810nm, the most common soft-tissue wavelength.