Interest in Upright MAME Cabinet for HF?

Area for developing group projects, such as workshop equipment
Booka
Global Moderator

Re: Interest in Upright MAME Cabinet for HF?

Postby Booka » Fri May 13, 2011 4:25 pm

That is the game, but the pictured version is the sit down cabinet, and it is the stand up version like many others.

The electronics were working in 98 when I got the game, but the tube was flakey then. Since then it has just sat, and a couple that were there during the tear down said that they saw some things that would need to be replaced. But I have no attachment to any of it, I just hate to see it tossed in a dumpster. So if you can find a use or new owner, I am all for it.

I at one point had a PDF of the schematics for it, and some of the artwork in a file, but I have not found the CD rom I had those on in the last year, not that I specifically looked either.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:07 pm

I have a friend who will sell a football arcade game for $75-100. I don't yet have the exact model. He says the CRT display is in excellent shape and the cabinet is extremely nice and clean as well. There might be some dust on the inside. I'll be able to see it in person on July 9.

Sound like something we can/should purchase for a MAME conversion?

I'll get more information when I can so we can see what type it is (standup or table).

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:35 pm

Here's the scoop on the arcade game and some pics. The seller wants $125 but may go down. The cabinet is indeed very clean, the black rounded edging is unblemished. I found that the video image had a very slight vertical quiver; the seller said the person that sold the machine to him knows there are hold controls on the monitor that may fix this, otherwise the problem may be due to heat as the machine was operating in a garage on a hot day. I measured the monitor at 20" physical diagonal with a 19" image.

The joysticks and buttons seemed to operate just fine, no appreciable looseness.

Looks like a relatively easy conversion on this one, possibly a couple more buttons and roller mouse would be added to the panel.

Should we spring on this machine? I can help transport it from Coon Rapids with a borrowed truck.

Full front view:
high-impact-arcade-full.png
high-impact-arcade-full.png (495.41 KiB) Viewed 1939 times

Control panel; only surface dust on top:
high-impact-arcade-panel.png
high-impact-arcade-panel.png (215.59 KiB) Viewed 1939 times

Screen:
high-impact-arcade-screen.png
high-impact-arcade-screen.png (250.38 KiB) Viewed 1939 times

View from left side:
high-impact-arcade-left-side.png
high-impact-arcade-left-side.png (452.78 KiB) Viewed 1939 times

Coin slots:
high-impact-arcade-coin-slots.png
high-impact-arcade-coin-slots.png (384.5 KiB) Viewed 1939 times

Top view from the front:
high-impact-arcade-top-front.png
high-impact-arcade-top-front.png (286.83 KiB) Viewed 1939 times

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:18 am

My friend has now offered a $90 price on the above machine for TC Maker. He'll hold it until he gets an answer from us on purchase, but probably only for a few more days.

idris_arslanian

Postby idris_arslanian » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:45 am

Good Lord, $90? That's tough to pass up. I'll donate $50.

cgallaty

Postby cgallaty » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:37 am

I'd say that's a go. That has a nice set of controls on the front and the price is too good to beat. It's two person. I say we get it setup as a MAME type cabinet *with* the quarter slot still working and make it pay back itself! :) There has to be something like Mortal Combat or the like that would get folks dropping quarters in it.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
-- Hubert H. Humphrey

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:54 pm

Cool! He's also going to give me an 8 GB USB drive with MAME files (probably much less than 8GB of data though). Personally I'm not in favor of the pay to play model, but we'll see what the group consensus is.

I gotta get with Brandon then and see if this is something the organization can expense, otherwise we need more donors.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:52 am

Probably the organization is not going to put any $$ toward this. I'm in for $10 at least and volunteering to help with transportation of the unit and the build. C'mon folks, we need more people to donate and get this machine.

cgallaty

Postby cgallaty » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:19 am

With the quarter slot I was mearly implying that the box could fund itself. We could easily make it an on your honor or donation type thing. Its there for the amusement of the members, but it takes up space and eats power. Not unreasonable to make it earn its keep a bit.

I can throw in a 10 spot for the base buy. I'm all about getting the other shell up and running too. I think the bigger question (and part of what was holding up the other box) is do we have an 'approved' home for either box? I would assume it would live in the front area with the current layout. Votes? Do the space (invader) gods approve?
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
-- Hubert H. Humphrey

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:08 pm

My friend now says he wants $100 for it... well, OK it's still a good price. Anyone else want to pitch in?

Return to “Group Projects”