Site Logo

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Make Day 2010
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:00 pm 

jwb wrote:
I'm wondering if there could be a combined booth featuring Hack Factory/MAKE? Nick is talking about maybe giving MAKE its own booth, but between having to work 8 hours that weekend for job #1, Father's Day, a family reunion on Saturday and my daughter's birthday, I find it hard to believe I'll be able to do more than make an appearance.

I don't see a problem with that, at all. It certainly wouldn't hurt us to foster a tighter relationship with the Make: brand.

TCMaker is liable to have a pretty big footprint, since we're talking about Spoonapult, Operation, MakerBot, and clothesline racers. I've been thinking suggesting TWO places- an outdoor spot where they can give the Spoonapult room to fire and Operation room for people to move around it and an indoor place for the MakerBot, group info, etc. In such a case, we could support a Make table inside.

Post subject: I'm making a slideshow for Make Day
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

I'm making a slideshow that we can run on Make Day.

I've grabbed some photos from our Flickr pool, but I'm looking for more. If you have some that aren't located there and you'd like to see them in the slideshow, point me to an online location or send it via the bulletin board's private messaging.

I have quite a few showing the Minne-Faire and Hack Factory. I'd like to locate some more photos of special events, especially of Bessie the Sea Cow in the Aquatennial.

I haven't yet collected any short videos. If you have any that would be good for Make Day, make me aware of them also.

Thanks everyone!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:05 pm 

Hey who is the overall organizer for TC Maker's involvement at Make Day? I'd love to be there for people to talk with and I would personally like to try and drum up some students for my upcoming RC Airplane class through the summer and maybe even fall and beyond! Planes are cool for all ages, so we should have at least one in our arsenal at the SMM on Make Day... ;) ;)

Thoughts?? Thanks!

[email protected]
http://www.galacticedge.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

kneeskrap3r wrote:
Hey who is the overall organizer for TC Maker's involvement at Make Day? I'd love to be there for people to talk with and I would personally like to try and drum up some students for my upcoming RC Airplane class through the summer and maybe even fall and beyond! Planes are cool for all ages, so we should have at least one in our arsenal at the SMM on Make Day... ;) ;)

Thoughts?? Thanks!
Phil, some of our planning is being done informally in discussions at our regular Wednesday night meetings. Our overall organizer(s) would primarily be Development Coordinator Michael F. (metis on the Bulletin Board), President Mike H. (uptownmaker on the Bulletin Board), our full Board of Governors (contact via twincitiesmaker[-at-]gmail.com), but also organized by member involvement.

I think the Board will need to have a meeting soon to finalize our planning and presentation ideas. We'd likely ask members to attend our display in shifts.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't be present with some other longer-term members to represent our group, but we'll need to see if there will be available space for any RC hardware. Personally, I'm putting together a slideshow presentation and at least we'd maybe be able to include some pictures of RC projects in the presentation.

Probably the best way to communicate what you want to do/offer is to send an email to twincitiesmaker[-at-]gmail.com; this is the one networking channel which is most likely to reach the group's leadership.

Thanks for the interest and inquiry, Phil!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hey all,

How did everything go? Entertain lots of dad and kids makers alike? Get any interested possible members?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:24 pm 

Pyrodogg wrote:
Hey all,

How did everything go? Entertain lots of dad and kids makers alike? Get any interested possible members?

Having just learned about the local tcmaker.org, I stopped by the Science Museum this afternoon to learn more. It was wonderful to see inventive special exhibits all over the place, surrounded by eager kids and parents. Well done!

Hope to stop by this week to see the Hack Factory, and to meet more of you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:51 am 

There seemed to be at least 10 people who were super interested in attending a Wednesday night session -- including at least 2 teenagers, do we have any rules in place for minors?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:36 am 
Global Moderator

Teens would be an new subject as far as I have seen, Liability could be handled by parents permission (Parents join, teen has restricted access to tools)

But the other side is our current beverage policy, or lack of one. One rogue incident with TCMaker and a 12 pack, could end it..

But having said that, It would be great to have young minds around, and I would have dam near lived at a place like this when I was in my late teens.

IMO we should look at each on a case by case basis, the parental units awareness is key.

And maybe we should have a Monthly open Saturday meeting along with Wednesdays so parents / teens / others can stop on down and check us out?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:06 pm 

Booka wrote:
And maybe we should have a Monthly open Saturday meeting along with Wednesdays so parents / teens / others can stop on down and check us out?

A Saturday open house once a month is not a bad Idea. Could also be combined with a monthly member clean-up/maintenance/organize day. A lot of clubs have something like that. Plus it be kinda cool to kick up a charcoal grill towards the end and grill out on a Sat.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:41 am 

current policy is non-members can't use tools, and you must be 18 to be a member. in terms of underage consumption, or providing to minors, that'd fall under breaking a local law and would be violation of member agreement, and grounds for being kicked out if not membership revocation.

at this point, for our liability i'm not ok with under 18 using tools, even with parental consent, simply because it adds an entire layer of complication and potential anger to any accident even if gear was being used appropriately. you'll note that our waiver explicitely states that use of the shop might kill you. (it probably won't, but it's a very real possibility when working with almost any power tool)

guests are the responsibility of the host member. we shoudl probably flesh out age boundaries for that.