Site Logo

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: [WANTED] any Cisco gear
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:57 pm 

I am seeking any Cisco routers, switches, access points, parts, whatever. I want to set up a better practice environment for my eventual CCNA exam and onwards.

I'm pretty well broke, so free is good, but I might be able to come up with some cash or a trade for the right deal.

Post subject: [WANTED] any Cisco gear
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:13 pm 

How about an old Cisco DSL router? It has a CBOS prompt. I'd have to find it though...

Post subject: Re: [WANTED] any Cisco gear
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:29 pm 

Thanks, but I've already got a Cisco 678 that I just replaced an 827. What I'm most looking for in the interest of preparing for the CCNA is a proper router or two, nothing fancy. Like something in a 1700 or 2600-series.

Basically, my actual plan is to replace as much of my home network as possible with Cisco gear, so that I'll be able to play with different configurations and be pretty much forced to learn how it all works.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:48 pm 

I have at least one 1601 with a WIC-1DSU-T1 card; there may be another in a box I can't easily get to right now. I'll dig out what I can after this weekend...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:26 am 

You know, that brings up an interesting point on the 503.C side. It would be interesting if the Hack Factory had some test environments that where just for such a purpose. i.e. some old Cisco equipment, a few servers, etc. The purpose being the teaching component. Not saying that we should become a tech collage but with the number of folks that are looking to make a change in career, it would be nice to have an environment where they could actually hack on some stuff.

The other bit is if we where seen as a group that did that, and we where organized about it, we could probably get some donations from larger companies along the lines of old tech. i.e. old switches, PBXen, etc. It does not all have to be plugged in at once, but I'm sure some extra hardware would not hurt.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:19 am 
Global Moderator

Well the Asterix group is building a PBX for the space, the server is in house already.

The Servers can be VMWare and run on a single box, as long as we have a couple of interfaces on it... (I know we had a few spare network interface cards, and I can buy more for a couple bucks each)

The real problem is a place to put it, it sorta needs a clean space and even the classroom is a bit dusty these days. (and Power/cooling)

The Interconnecting Cisco Devices Class is all taught on virtual servers now, and there are a number of resources on the web.

A few are free to try, like Mimic, but it is $99 to buy and the trial is a couple days.

Others use programs that simulate Cisco routers, here is a tutorial on how one does it.
http://www.proprofs.com/webschool/story ... -Cisco-Lab