[WANTED] any Cisco gear

Post here for selling, buying, or trading local goods and services
mcsteve

[WANTED] any Cisco gear

Postby mcsteve » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:57 pm

I am seeking any Cisco routers, switches, access points, parts, whatever. I want to set up a better practice environment for my eventual CCNA exam and onwards.

I'm pretty well broke, so free is good, but I might be able to come up with some cash or a trade for the right deal.
If it ain't broke, your version is outdated.

cgallaty

[WANTED] any Cisco gear

Postby cgallaty » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:13 pm

How about an old Cisco DSL router? It has a CBOS prompt. I'd have to find it though...
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
-- Hubert H. Humphrey

mcsteve

Re: [WANTED] any Cisco gear

Postby mcsteve » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:29 pm

Thanks, but I've already got a Cisco 678 that I just replaced an 827. What I'm most looking for in the interest of preparing for the CCNA is a proper router or two, nothing fancy. Like something in a 1700 or 2600-series.

Basically, my actual plan is to replace as much of my home network as possible with Cisco gear, so that I'll be able to play with different configurations and be pretty much forced to learn how it all works.
If it ain't broke, your version is outdated.

DanBackslide

Postby DanBackslide » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:48 pm

I have at least one 1601 with a WIC-1DSU-T1 card; there may be another in a box I can't easily get to right now. I'll dig out what I can after this weekend...
73 de KC0DZY

cgallaty

Postby cgallaty » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:26 am

You know, that brings up an interesting point on the 503.C side. It would be interesting if the Hack Factory had some test environments that where just for such a purpose. i.e. some old Cisco equipment, a few servers, etc. The purpose being the teaching component. Not saying that we should become a tech collage but with the number of folks that are looking to make a change in career, it would be nice to have an environment where they could actually hack on some stuff.

The other bit is if we where seen as a group that did that, and we where organized about it, we could probably get some donations from larger companies along the lines of old tech. i.e. old switches, PBXen, etc. It does not all have to be plugged in at once, but I'm sure some extra hardware would not hurt.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
-- Hubert H. Humphrey

Booka
Global Moderator

Postby Booka » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:19 am

Well the Asterix group is building a PBX for the space, the server is in house already.

The Servers can be VMWare and run on a single box, as long as we have a couple of interfaces on it... (I know we had a few spare network interface cards, and I can buy more for a couple bucks each)

The real problem is a place to put it, it sorta needs a clean space and even the classroom is a bit dusty these days. (and Power/cooling)

The Interconnecting Cisco Devices Class is all taught on virtual servers now, and there are a number of resources on the web.

A few are free to try, like Mimic, but it is $99 to buy and the trial is a couple days.

Others use programs that simulate Cisco routers, here is a tutorial on how one does it.
http://www.proprofs.com/webschool/story ... -Cisco-Lab

Return to “Local Classifieds”