Dado set reasonable price, is this the right size?

Post here for selling, buying, or trading local goods and services
otto_pjm

Dado set reasonable price, is this the right size?

Postby otto_pjm » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:04 pm

Have recently experienced the wonders of the wobble dado. I was wondering what size blades the various table saws take? I suppose smaller is OK, so you can use 8" blades on a 10" saw? Anyway saw this 8" set looks nice, would it work?

Pete

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/t ... 93496.html

metis

Re: Dado set reasonable price, is this the right size?

Postby metis » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:39 pm

there are 2 kinda of dado cutters. wobble cutters which in effect put a saw blade in crooked and use an aggressive "drift" to cut wider than just their blade kerf, and sets or stacks which use 2 saw blades to cut a smoother edge, and you then stack chippers between them to knock out the scrap material between them. you get a MUCH nicer cut from stacks, but they cost a lot more, and take more skill to set up safely.

*edit* biscuits i was not thinking. more coffee for me.

yes, that's the right size for a 10" saw. the thing to 2x check is that the arbor is long enough to accept the stack, so if a saw isn't designed to take a dado set they make the arbor that holds the blade shorter.

smaller *blades* can be an issue due to blade design, but dado sets are smaller because they add more metal for the motor to spin. a 6" set would be too small for a 10" saw.

bradito

Re: Dado set reasonable price, is this the right size?

Postby bradito » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:48 am

Yes, that blade would work. The general saw I have loaned to the HF is this model:
http://www.general.ca/site_general/g_pr ... 5_185.html

it has a 5/8" arbor diameter, and can take up to 3/4" capacity dado, per the specs. This dado blade stacks almost to an inch (29/32"), but usually you wouldn't need much more than 3/4" inch dado, at least in once pass.

I'd be willing to be the Jet TS has a 5/8" arbor, as well.

Return to “Local Classifieds”