Site Logo

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hack Factory Facility Updates and Questions
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:24 am 

The electrical in our space does seem to be a bit of a disaster. Might also want to check the loft area above the office/stairs, I think I noticed some old screw-in fuse holders on the ceiling up there, though I wasn't close enough to tell for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:35 pm 

I just got home from the HF, I was working on making a couple cables and finding a place to stash my robot.

I saw the office lights were still out, so I did take a look at that breaker panel downstairs. A couple of the breakers are labeled "Office Lights", but none looked visibly tripped. It's a very old Bulldog panel, so they may not actually show if they're tripped. I'm not going to touch it because it's so old and unfamiliar to me.

I emptied the classroom trash while I was there, and turned off the coffeepot which someone must have left on.

One more note; when I arrived I found that the gate lockbox had been left dialed in to the correct code. I made sure it was properly scrambled when I locked up and left.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:45 pm 

ok--found the culprit. the flex cable with wiring to the office & weld outlets run on top of the office. there are a couple of junctions with 20 amp buss fuses. sure enough, one blown. replaced it (and stashed some extras for next time--haha). lights on.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:18 pm 
Site Admin

sparkhut wrote:
ok--found the culprit. the flex cable with wiring to the office & weld outlets run on top of the office. there are a couple of junctions with 20 amp buss fuses. sure enough, one blown. replaced it (and stashed some extras for next time--haha). lights on.
Thanks Sparkhut. We ought to make some signage to make people aware of the fusebox.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Update: I spent some time at the H.F. yesterday and today. I worked on the Ubuntu builds for the PCs in the classroom. We now have two guest PCs and a PC for use with the Cyberoptics CNC machine. I was able to install Ubunto on that CNC computer after making a new installation CD.

I made some adjustments to the big monitor attached now to the Compaq PC for the CNC machine, and it works OK. There are some horizontal lines appearing as noise when the Ubuntu login screen is displayed, but that goes away after logging in. In Ubuntu I had to adjust the screen refresh to 75 hz instead of 85 hz. The resolution is 1600x1200, so the PC's video card can just barely deal with this; if the resolution is set lower the video performance on this machine would be better.

I also printed out some more brochures. They're on a table in the classroom; someone please fold them and place on the brochure rack near the Hack Factory entry door.

Yesterday Brandon bought two reams of paper for the printer and some more pop and snacks.

Some things we need: Office supplies (including pens for marking CDs/DVDs), spare monitors, and ethernet cables with plugs, or some plugs and a cable crimping tool for making our own from the spool of cable in the classroom. If anyone is able to donate or lend us these items, please do.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:35 pm 

wammie wrote:
I also printed out some more brochures. They're on a table in the classroom; someone please fold them and place on the brochure rack near the Hack Factory entry door.

The brochures you printed are the same on both sides, halfway through the stack it switches over to the other page...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

jtbarclay wrote:
wammie wrote:

The brochures you printed are the same on both sides, halfway through the stack it switches over to the other page...
Odd! I printed out a single brochure test that worked fine; not sure what could've happened between those jobs that made it different.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:46 pm 

wammie wrote:
Update: I spent some time at the H.F. yesterday and today. I worked on the Ubuntu builds for the PCs in the classroom. We now have two guest PCs and a PC for use with the Cyberoptics CNC machine. I was able to install Ubunto on that CNC computer after making a new installation CD.

I made some adjustments to the big monitor attached now to the Compaq PC for the CNC machine, and it works OK. There are some horizontal lines appearing as noise when the Ubuntu login screen is displayed, but that goes away after logging in. In Ubuntu I had to adjust the screen refresh to 75 hz instead of 85 hz. The resolution is 1600x1200, so the PC's video card can just barely deal with this; if the resolution is set lower the video performance on this machine would be better.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I have a machine with the EMC2 build which is a special tweak of Ubuntu 8.04 with real time kernel and all the CNC hal stuff. I'll bring that next time I come and see if we can meld the two worlds together. I'm not sure what this specific xorg config file looks like, but hopefully we can copy the one you have working on that machine.

I'm excited to see that thing move.

I do have a crappy crimpper and some ends, I'll look around, I think I have some cat 5 too, somewhere, I've been "moving" for over a year now, I don't know where anything is........

Thanks

Pete

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:10 pm 

As fate would have it I was sitting on the floor building the EMC2 machine and posting earlier. As I went to get up I put my hand quite literally in a box with some cable, "hey that looks like cat 5 cable", so then the hunt was on. I have at this point found.
  • a 25' and maybe 75' cable - cut em up if that's what's needed
  • my crimper, it's not as crappy as I remeber, i also found an RJ11 crimper, it's really crappy, and ends any need? Asterisk guys?
  • a box of ends, must have 15 or so RJ45 connectors in it

Maybe I can sort and donate my way to organization. :)

Pete

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

otto_pjm wrote:
Thanks, I'll check it out. I have a machine with the EMC2 build which is a special tweak of Ubuntu 8.04 with real time kernel and all the CNC hal stuff. I'll bring that next time I come and see if we can meld the two worlds together. I'm not sure what this specific xorg config file looks like, but hopefully we can copy the one you have working on that machine.
Pete, if you're going to donate that PC and it's already built especially for CNC stuff, that's fine too. We can use that other PC as a guest PC. Or if you're just bringing that PC in temporarily to test, then we can build on the one in the classroom. Either way, whatever you decide to do is fine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21  Next