Hack Factory Facility Updates and Questions

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
wammie
Site Admin

Re: Hack Factory Facility Updates and Questions

Postby wammie » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:09 pm

I made an attempt at installing the Brother wireless printer at the office PC, but wasn't successful. The printer shows up in the dialog box and as connected, but print jobs don't go to the print queue. There is a long delay when the system tries to connect with the printer. My guess is that some lines in the configuration file for the printer need to be corrected to define it for wireless mode, but I couldn't find the configuration file. If someone has configured this printer before, please post anything you might know about the procedure, otherwise if anyone else wants to give it a crack, go for it!

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:10 pm

wammie wrote:I made an attempt at installing the Brother wireless printer at the office PC, but wasn't successful. The printer shows up in the dialog box and as connected, but print jobs don't go to the print queue. There is a long delay when the system tries to connect with the printer. My guess is that some lines in the configuration file for the printer need to be corrected to define it for wireless mode, but I couldn't find the configuration file. If someone has configured this printer before, please post anything you might know about the procedure, otherwise if anyone else wants to give it a crack, go for it!
I fixed this issue some time before Make: Day. So the printer is working from the office PC and should also be accessible from other PCs on in our firewall and on the network.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:04 pm

Yesterday Booka and I sorted and shelved some of the donated stuff on the floor. I started sorting some electronic components too. They are in clear plastic boxes with labels on a shelf located near the printers and scanners. A couple of PC speaker units were brought into the classroom as well. For one of them we'd need to locate the subwoofer unit (probably still on the floor in a box) and for the other we'd need to find an appropriate power adapter.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:30 pm

I've installed the printer driver on the classroom PC for the network printer in the Hack Factory office. It tested fine too so people can print from the classroom PC now.

WE ARE OUT OF CHIPS. :(

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:03 pm

Some good news: The heavy rains yesterday did not cause major leakage into the Hack Factory classroom!

wammie
Site Admin

Possible Couch and Loveseat for Lounge

Postby wammie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:39 pm

I have a chance at getting a couch and loveseat for the Hack Factory lounge. All I know about them is that they've been indoors and only today were put in a garage, and that they have a plaid and country design pattern. If my family doesn't claim them, would these be OK for our lounge?

Another update: Yesterday I did the Ubuntu updates on the office computer and the computer on the classroom table.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:28 pm

Yesterday Booka and I did some more picking up of donated stuff on the floor, sorting, shelving, and reboxing. I sorted some electronic components into smaller labeled boxes. I also emptied some trash. The prior Saturday I did Ubuntu system updates on the three Ubuntu computers (but not the one on the south wall of the classroom).

Edit: This is lucky post #777 for me!

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:28 pm

Today we installed Ubuntu system updates on the classroom PC. Also, ReplicatorG with integrated Skeinforge and prerequisite programs were installed, for use with the MakerBot. There are icons on the top edge panel and desktop for ReplicatorG.

When someone has a chance, please configure ReplicatorG for the MakerBot according to MakerBot wiki and other online configuration help.

If someone could then also confirm that the PC software can successfully drive the MakerBot, that would be great.

orion
Site Admin

Postby orion » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:43 pm

Blog updated to new version, should have the same look and feel let me know if anything is broke.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:35 pm

There was a fluffy of activity at the Hack Factory today.

I stopped by to show some family the space. Joshua (the guy building his own guitar) and new member Pete (interested in metal sculpture) were there. Pete had brought a couch over for the lounge space. The couch wouldn't make the corner when bringing it downstairs, so for the time being it's located in the classroom (not sure if there's another way to bring it down). After returning home with family I went immediately back to the H.F. to see if Joshua was there, but he'd left. Then Brian (UprightEgg) and a friend showed up with a stationery bicycle they want to use as a demonstration people-powered generator in a play. It's near the entry door against the wall.

I stayed for a while to do Ubuntu software updates on the office, kiosk, and classroom PCs. I installed Wine on the classroom PC and successfully installed and ran a Windows application. I did a couple of configuration selections in ReplicatorG to define that it's working with a Cupcake CNC and using a USB port. We still need someone with experience running the MakerBot to test the software with the MakerBot connected and be sure that it works properly.

Return to “General Discussion”