Site Logo

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hack Factory Facility Updates and Questions
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

It appears something has happened with our straw broom and dustpan. I found the two push brooms today at the Hack Factory but could not find the standard broom and dustpan.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

This evening I started an upgrade of Ubuntu on the office PC to version 10.04 LTS. The computer would need to continue processing the upgrade for well over an hour beyond the time I had to leave, so I left it on in order to continue processing. If anyone gets over to H.F. tomorrow please check if the upgrade has finished on its own or respond to any dialog boxes that may be appearing and halting the update process.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

Another update: Jude reported that facilities people showed up earlier today to look at air conditioning and the faulty lights in the classroom, but were unable to access the areas they needed to work in. Hopefully they'll return soon during business hours when they can get access!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:45 pm 

wammie wrote:
This evening I started an upgrade of Ubuntu on the office PC to version 10.04 LTS. The computer would need to continue processing the upgrade for well over an hour beyond the time I had to leave, so I left it on in order to continue processing. If anyone gets over to H.F. tomorrow please check if the upgrade has finished on its own or respond to any dialog boxes that may be appearing and halting the update process.

At midnight the PC was off. When I turned it on it went to recovery mode and the keyboard is no longer recognized.
Sorry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:52 pm 
Site Admin

Judeling wrote:
wammie wrote:

At midnight the PC was off. When I turned it on it went to recovery mode and the keyboard is no longer recognized.
Sorry
Thanks. So the PC was off and not just the monitor? The monitor of course was shut off while the computer was left running. The update process dialog showed a "Restarting computer" event at the end and I expect it should've done a full restart on its own. Hmmm. Someone will have to take a look at it then.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:09 am 

Yep off. Not just the monitor. I always check.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

I've burned an Ubuntu 10.04 LTS CD. I'll bring it to the office sometime this week. If I have time I'll try to install, otherwise I'll leave the CD in a desk drawer for someone who can work with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

wammie wrote:
I've burned an Ubuntu 10.04 LTS CD. I'll bring it to the office sometime this week. If I have time I'll try to install, otherwise I'll leave the CD in a desk drawer for someone who can work with it.
This evening I tried to install Ubuntu from the CD, but encountered several errorno 5 messages. Finally on the last attempt today the install produced one non-fatal error. I clicked OK and it then proceeded to 53% and remained stuck for at least 30 minutes, though it seemed the computer was still slurping data. Problem could've been the heat; I ran the the install with the CPU side panel off on the last couple of attempts. If the install doesn't complete on its own by tomorrow the computer should be rebooted and install tried again. I did validate the data on the CD burn, but I also have another validated CD to try as well.\

[Edit: Oh, the old keyboard or cord may have had a problem since after trying a different keyboard the keyboard errors went away.]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:33 pm 

The lights are on in the classroom.

The air conditioner is not working as it blows fuses as some as inserted.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

I've tested the Harmon Kardon PC speakers on the kiosk PC. They're working great, no buzz from the speakers either. The .mp3 and .aac plugins for the media player have been installed too. So if anyone wants Internet music or audio from videos on the kiosk speaker, fire up Shoutcast or whatever and enjoy!

I also installed Avast! Antivirus on the office computer. The program caused "invalid argument" errors, but I found, implemented, and documented the fix. There is a link to the fix document on the desktop, should this error happen again.

We could use some regular straw sweep brooms. If anyone has some spares or would like to purchase and donate to the Hack Factory, please do so.

We could also use some 6-12' extension cords for power tools and miscellaneous use.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next