Hack Factory Facility Updates and Questions

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
mcsteve

Re: Hack Factory Facility Updates and Questions

Postby mcsteve » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:10 pm

wammie wrote:Related to this, does anyone know if shop speakers have been, or can be, configured independently from the classroom speakers to both produce mono output, since they are each stationed now in different areas? Could someone configure this?

I can't speak to the classroom speaker configuration, at least off the top of my head. But sending different mixer inputs to each shop speaker is just a matter of turning the balance knobs on the mixer to send your desired source to either the left or the right channel.
If it ain't broke, your version is outdated.

metis

Postby metis » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:37 pm

when it was set up, the speaker system could play back mp3, streaming computer, and microphone to classroom and/or shop, and send say computer to classroom and mp3 player to shop.

i've no clue if someone has yet again "fixed" it so that doesn't work, but i can look at it and get it reset to that again this evening.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:25 pm

metis wrote:when it was set up, the speaker system could play back mp3, streaming computer, and microphone to classroom and/or shop, and send say computer to classroom and mp3 player to shop.

i've no clue if someone has yet again "fixed" it so that doesn't work, but i can look at it and get it reset to that again this evening.
Yes, the system works like that again, when I was there last week. The front aux input jack on the stereo can be used for input. By default it's connected to the PC, but anyone can plug another device into that jack instead. My concern about the present configuration was whether or not the two shop speakers were configured always as left/right. Since they're each now in different areas, I'd think it better if both would most always produce combined l/r mono sound, except when stereo is needed for single-room use. One thing that's wonky is the radio antenna connection on the back of the stereo, which is bare wire and not a proper plug.

metis

Postby metis » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:53 pm

iirc they were set up as mono, but each could be controlled as relative volume, although that was a bit more awkward.

not ideal as summing a stereo signal doesn't always do what you'd expect (depending on how it was engineered) but it's usually fine.

Return to “General Discussion”