Site Logo

 
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Mural?!?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:28 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:14 pm
Posts: 1444
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
mrebersv wrote:
Looks amazing. What colors of paint do we need to buy? ;-)
At last night's meeting, Stefan and some others discussed the color palette too. My opinion on this is to use cool or warm colors for the psychological factor, staying away from hot red or other stimulating colors that might cause subliminal tension.

_________________
612-293-MAKE World Community Grid Team Page | Blog | Promo Flyers | Dues Info
Active Topics | Twitter Page | TCM Photos | View Your Posts | YIM waynoid | AIM wammie777


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mural?!?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:05 pm 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:24 pm
Posts: 634
lol

_________________
Make it happen.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mural?!?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:06 pm
Posts: 319
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Talked to a couple of people about color, and landed on steely shades of blues. A range that looks good with bright whites and deep black.

_________________
Have kilt, will travel...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mural?!?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:06 pm
Posts: 319
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Ok, cheapest price I could find for primer is 19.99 for a 5 gallon. I am estimating it will take 15 gallons to put one coat on the drywalled section. Its on sale til 24th. I have a really long painters pole to getting up high.

CALL TO TCMs: We need to do a painting party to get the space prepped for Minne-faire and starting on the mural. Who can help me paint next weekend (24th)

_________________
Have kilt, will travel...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mural?!?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:23 pm
Posts: 249
swinkdaddy wrote:
Ok, cheapest price I could find for primer is 19.99 for a 5 gallon. I am estimating it will take 15 gallons to put one coat on the drywalled section. Its on sale til 24th. I have a really long painters pole to getting up high.

CALL TO TCMs: We need to do a painting party to get the space prepped for Minne-faire and starting on the mural. Who can help me paint next weekend (24th)


figure 400 sq ft per gallon. 5 gallons should be enough.
Do we want to prime and white cover the wall before the Mural?
Did you think about the Collage idea?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mural?!?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:18 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:14 pm
Posts: 1444
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Judeling wrote:
swinkdaddy wrote:
Ok, cheapest price I could find for primer is 19.99 for a 5 gallon. I am estimating it will take 15 gallons to put one coat on the drywalled section. Its on sale til 24th. I have a really long painters pole to getting up high.

CALL TO TCMs: We need to do a painting party to get the space prepped for Minne-faire and starting on the mural. Who can help me paint next weekend (24th)


figure 400 sq ft per gallon. 5 gallons should be enough.
Do we want to prime and white cover the wall before the Mural?
Did you think about the Collage idea?
I can help, but I've also asked if people are available on Monday. I have the day off. Certainly the painting doesn't have to be done on Monday, but I'd like others to join me and get some other things done.

Jude, for the collage idea, were you thinking about large posters or whatnot envisioning maker equipment and activities? I kind of like that, if we could do some very large canvas pieces, but we also were going to do one or more projectors with slide shows and videos.

_________________
612-293-MAKE World Community Grid Team Page | Blog | Promo Flyers | Dues Info
Active Topics | Twitter Page | TCM Photos | View Your Posts | YIM waynoid | AIM wammie777


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mural?!?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:06 pm
Posts: 319
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Judeling wrote:
figure 400 sq ft per gallon. 5 gallons should be enough.
Do we want to prime and white cover the wall before the Mural?
Did you think about the Collage idea?


I was planning on priming the entire wall (from door to chainlink) with one coat and then maybe a second coat (cheap primer) in the area around the door for the mural.

Actually ya, I was thinking it would be cool to have the hack factory letters cut out of 1/4 plywood and paint those in hi-gloss. while the rest of the image is painted on the wall.

The windows and glasses/goggles in the image could be cut out of shinny gold mylar from axman.

_________________
Have kilt, will travel...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mural?!?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:01 am
Posts: 47
wammie wrote:
Judeling wrote:
swinkdaddy wrote:
Ok, cheapest price I could find for primer is 19.99 for a 5 gallon. I am estimating it will take 15 gallons to put one coat on the drywalled section. Its on sale til 24th. I have a really long painters pole to getting up high.

CALL TO TCMs: We need to do a painting party to get the space prepped for Minne-faire and starting on the mural. Who can help me paint next weekend (24th)


figure 400 sq ft per gallon. 5 gallons should be enough.
Do we want to prime and white cover the wall before the Mural?
Did you think about the Collage idea?
I can help, but I've also asked if people are available on Monday. I have the day off. Certainly the painting doesn't have to be done on Monday, but I'd like others to join me and get some other things done.

Jude, for the collage idea, were you thinking about large posters or whatnot envisioning maker equipment and activities? I kind of like that, if we could do some very large canvas pieces, but we also were going to do one or more projectors with slide shows and videos.


I have Monday off as well and would be willing to help with whatever.

If we paint, I have a sanding pole and sanding screens for tidying up the drywall.
Also have a roller with a couple of new 3/8" covers, a bucket with a screen grid, brush and an 8 foot step ladder.

If Monday is a go, what time are people showing up?

-mark-

Also. I stopped by Menards today and bought some tools for the space.
16' tape measure, hammer and small frame square to help with the benches.
Also found 5 pounds each of 2-1/2" and 1-5/8" drywall screws. And #2 phillips bits for the drills.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mural?!?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:06 am
Posts: 1219
Location: NE Minneapolis
cheapest paint is FREE from county recycling centers. it't not quite as ideal, but a 5 gal bucket filled up with 8 partial gallons of white is much more affordable and we can get blues, and other things as well.

lets not spend cash we don't have to, and spend that extra $ on things we have to.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mural?!?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:06 pm
Posts: 319
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Totally agree with free paint when it come to small areas, but this base is going to cover the whole wall (covering the unfinished drywall wall to wall). If its not all the same value/hue then its gonna look funny-amateurish. I am cool with shelling out $20x3 if it comes to it, to do it right. Then get free and mix for smaller non-continuous areas.

_________________
Have kilt, will travel...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL Flash Games