Site Logo

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mural?!?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

mrebersv wrote:
Looks amazing. What colors of paint do we need to buy? ;-)
At last night's meeting, Stefan and some others discussed the color palette too. My opinion on this is to use cool or warm colors for the psychological factor, staying away from hot red or other stimulating colors that might cause subliminal tension.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:05 pm 
Global Moderator

lol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:16 pm 

Talked to a couple of people about color, and landed on steely shades of blues. A range that looks good with bright whites and deep black.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:36 pm 

Ok, cheapest price I could find for primer is 19.99 for a 5 gallon. I am estimating it will take 15 gallons to put one coat on the drywalled section. Its on sale til 24th. I have a really long painters pole to getting up high.

CALL TO TCMs: We need to do a painting party to get the space prepped for Minne-faire and starting on the mural. Who can help me paint next weekend (24th)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:57 pm 

swinkdaddy wrote:
Ok, cheapest price I could find for primer is 19.99 for a 5 gallon. I am estimating it will take 15 gallons to put one coat on the drywalled section. Its on sale til 24th. I have a really long painters pole to getting up high.

CALL TO TCMs: We need to do a painting party to get the space prepped for Minne-faire and starting on the mural. Who can help me paint next weekend (24th)

figure 400 sq ft per gallon. 5 gallons should be enough.
Do we want to prime and white cover the wall before the Mural?
Did you think about the Collage idea?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

Judeling wrote:
swinkdaddy wrote:

I can help, but I've also asked if people are available on Monday. I have the day off. Certainly the painting doesn't have to be done on Monday, but I'd like others to join me and get some other things done.

Jude, for the collage idea, were you thinking about large posters or whatnot envisioning maker equipment and activities? I kind of like that, if we could do some very large canvas pieces, but we also were going to do one or more projectors with slide shows and videos.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:20 pm 

Judeling wrote:

I was planning on priming the entire wall (from door to chainlink) with one coat and then maybe a second coat (cheap primer) in the area around the door for the mural.

Actually ya, I was thinking it would be cool to have the hack factory letters cut out of 1/4 plywood and paint those in hi-gloss. while the rest of the image is painted on the wall.

The windows and glasses/goggles in the image could be cut out of shinny gold mylar from axman.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:31 pm 

wammie wrote:
Judeling wrote:
swinkdaddy wrote:

I can help, but I've also asked if people are available on Monday. I have the day off. Certainly the painting doesn't have to be done on Monday, but I'd like others to join me and get some other things done.

Jude, for the collage idea, were you thinking about large posters or whatnot envisioning maker equipment and activities? I kind of like that, if we could do some very large canvas pieces, but we also were going to do one or more projectors with slide shows and videos.

I have Monday off as well and would be willing to help with whatever.

If we paint, I have a sanding pole and sanding screens for tidying up the drywall.
Also have a roller with a couple of new 3/8" covers, a bucket with a screen grid, brush and an 8 foot step ladder.

If Monday is a go, what time are people showing up?

-mark-

Also. I stopped by Menards today and bought some tools for the space.
16' tape measure, hammer and small frame square to help with the benches.
Also found 5 pounds each of 2-1/2" and 1-5/8" drywall screws. And #2 phillips bits for the drills.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:56 pm 

cheapest paint is FREE from county recycling centers. it't not quite as ideal, but a 5 gal bucket filled up with 8 partial gallons of white is much more affordable and we can get blues, and other things as well.

lets not spend cash we don't have to, and spend that extra $ on things we have to.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:32 pm 

Totally agree with free paint when it come to small areas, but this base is going to cover the whole wall (covering the unfinished drywall wall to wall). If its not all the same value/hue then its gonna look funny-amateurish. I am cool with shelling out $20x3 if it comes to it, to do it right. Then get free and mix for smaller non-continuous areas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next