Site Logo

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Speed traps
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:12 am 
Site Admin

Not sure who was talking about this awhile ago as and Idea so I am posting it here.

I heard about it on the radio yesterday.

From Wiki:

Quote:
"Trapster is a social networking mobile application and website, provided for free, that maps out and alerts users in real time to the presence of live police speed traps, red light cameras, speed cameras, and areas where police often hide. In addition, it allows users to record trip data and share it via the web, including interfaces with Facebook and Twitter.[1] Trapster was recognized by Time Magazine as one the 10 Best iPhone Apps for Dads in June of 2009,[2] and as one of the 20 Sexist Apps for Men by iSmashPhone.com in July of 2009.[3] In addition, Wired listed Trapster as the number 1 application in their 10 Mobile Applications that Make the Most of Location[4] and CNET named Trapster as their number 1 free iPhone automotive app.[5]

"

http://www.trapster.com/

Post subject: Re: Speed traps
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:48 pm 

Yup, that was me. Seems pretty similar to what I was envisioning. Too bad they don't have an app for the Pre, though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

the Pre, is it working out nice for you then, I was thinking about getting one when it moves to Verizon if it does.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:17 am 

Works fantastic. I've noticed that the newer models are a bit more sturdily built. Mine has a bit of play between the two pieces when closed. I've been dabbling around w/ the dev kit too, and it's pretty easy to program for and super easy to hack. I just wish I knew Javascript better. Also, Sprint has the whole free calls to any mobile phone thing that is a lifesaver to minute usage.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:32 am 

Get a Droid. That is a super rad phone.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:10 pm 

I had given trapster a try earlier, but never really liked it. There was also another similar app that was even worse. Now I'm using Waze and loving it. The biggest difference is that waze is a full on crowd sourced navigation app with the ability to report road hazards, traffic, and speed traps.

Crowd sourced because the whole map is generated by people driving around. It started out in Israel where a couple hundred thousand users completely mapped out the entire countries roads just by doing their daily driving. However, the US version started with the census bureau's free maps as a base.

As you drive around your car become pacman and you gobble up dots on unconfirmed roads. Adding new roads is pretty easy. The online editing map is pretty cool. I just drove through a new neighbor hood near my house, and then went online and added the roads on top of the route I drove. After about a week it showed up on my phone and I drove over it again to eat the "cookie points" and confirmed the road was there.

The navigation part is still pretty weak, but it learns fast. I wouldn't rely on it to get me somewhere I'd never been, but the developers even say it's meant to assist you in driving a route you regularly drive such as your commute to work. It's really good at showing heavy traffic, and alerting you to it. When I've gotten stuck, it automatically notices I'm going slower than the speed limit and updates the map. It's a shame that more people aren't using it.

Oh, and it's FREE, for iphone, android, and windows phones.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:29 pm 

the blog on tcmaker.org turned me on to Waze. I've been using it for a few days, and I've turned some people at work onto it as well. I'm really digging it.