Site Logo

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: MN Hack Factory
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:30 pm 

For those who didn't make the casual at Pat's on Wednesday, we had some exciting news.

Matt Ebersviller, a representative of a group called "MN Hack Factory", stopped by the meeting. MN Hack Factory is in the late (LATE) stages of opening a hackerspace.

I'm hoping Matt and some other members of MN Hack Factory will come by our business meeting next Wednesday night. And that Matt (and maybe some other members) will post more info here to start the discussion...

Post subject: Re: MN Hack Factory
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:58 pm 

I'll be there on Saturday to introduce myself to anyone else, and I'll be sure to make it to the business meeting on Wednesday. I've sent invites out to the other members of the Hack Factory notifying them of both events, and I expect some to show up to both. I guess we'll see.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:07 pm 

Random facts about the Hack Factory of Minnesota, Inc. (official name with the secretary of state's office):

* We are filed (and approved) as a legal corporation in the state of Minnesota.
* We have *not* yet filed for NFP status with the IRS (we have plans to do so).
* We are going to be leasing the space that's being toured on Saturday (11:00AM...be there!)
* We are very open to the idea of merging the MN Hack Factory group into the TC Makers Group (didn't know you guys existed when we started)
* We have a small set of members who are 100% in, and more members who are in either when the space has become a reality or when the price is down around the $50-60 range
* The workspace is meant to be a hangout/metalworking/welding/woodworking/auto shop (no auto painting). As I understand it, you guys were looking for the same.

I'd be happy to answer any more questions about us or the space.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

mrebersv wrote:
Random facts about the Hack Factory of Minnesota, Inc. (official name with the secretary of state's office):

* We are filed (and approved) as a legal corporation in the state of Minnesota.
* We have *not* yet filed for NFP status with the IRS (we have plans to do so).
* We are going to be leasing the space that's being toured on Saturday (11:00AM...be there!)
* We are very open to the idea of merging the MN Hack Factory group into the TC Makers Group (didn't know you guys existed when we started)
* We have a small set of members who are 100% in, and more members who are in either when the space has become a reality or when the price is down around the $50-60 range
* The workspace is meant to be a hangout/metalworking/welding/woodworking/auto shop (no auto painting). As I understand it, you guys were looking for the same.

I'd be happy to answer any more questions about us or the space.
Mrebersv (Matt), again we at TC Maker are very glad you have found our organization and are open to a merging of our interests. A VERY BIG THANKS!!! go out to you and MN Hack Factory members from me personally and on behalf of all of us at TC Maker!

In case you or others haven't seen my recent post, perhaps the space itself might be open to a name other than "TC Maker" or "Minnesota Hack Factory" if we are to remain as two groups, though "Minnesota Hack Factory" isn't half bad. If MN Hack Factory is highly favored by your group though, and since you've done the legwork to find a space, I'm sure those of us in TC Maker would happily defer to your preference. We can discuss this tomorrow at or after the tour.

And yes, we are/were looking for the same type of space though our group also has a strong interest in electronics and a place to build/hack electronic stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:48 pm 

wammie wrote:
Mrebersv (Matt), again we at TC Maker are very glad you have found our organization and are open to a merging of our interests. A VERY BIG THANKS!!! go out to you and MN Hack Factory members from me personally and on behalf of all of us at TC Maker!

No problem. We have the same goals, and MNHackFactory would've likely just been members of your group had we known about you guys.

wammie wrote:
In case you or others haven't seen my recent post, perhaps the space itself might be open to a name other than "TC Maker" or "Minnesota Hack Factory" if we are to remain as two groups, though "Minnesota Hack Factory" isn't half bad. If MN Hack Factory is highly favored by your group though, and since you've done the legwork to find a space, I'm sure those of us in TC Maker would happily defer to your preference. We can discuss this tomorrow at or after the tour.

My personal preference (and that does not represent anyone but myself) would be for the the group to be TCMaker and the space as The Hack Factory. That said, the Secretary of State currently knows us as Hack Factory of Minnesota, Inc. An official name in no way needs to be the same as how the group identifies itself or the corresponding space.

And plenty of us are into amateur electronics as well. Plus, there's a 900 sqft room they were using as a break/training room that I think the guy said he'd rent for another $200 or so. That seems like a great place to have electronics benches and a more primary hangout/lounge space. You guys will see the place on Saturday, and you'll get a good idea of what I'm talking about.

One more thing, after we sign the lease, we were planning on having a bench building party (workbenches for the space), but if both groups are good with going in on this together (my preference is for merging the two groups; no one in MNHackFactory has expressed any objection as of yet), we should probably wait until both groups are good to do it. I just reread that sentence. It's awful, but I refuse to fix it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

mrebersv wrote:
...the Secretary of State currently knows us as Hack Factory of Minnesota, Inc. An official name in no way needs to be the same as how the group identifies itself or the corresponding space...
Yes, that's right! I've seen plenty of mumbo jumbo relating to tax or legal matters saying something like "...shall be known as 'ABC Company, Inc.', or otherwise referred to as 'The Best Company,' etc., etc." We can even amend bank accounts to accommodate both names.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:53 pm 

Fun things I can add to this-

1. My company is (still) pitching stuff. In my garage I have two 2x3x7.5 shelf units with about 6 shelves apiece, and each shelf can hold probably a couple hundred pounds of stuff. There are six-ish more of these units at my office, as well as a coat rack, a four-drawer filing cabinet, and a couple of reasonably durable old-skool steel office desks. We could score it all and have a good start.
2. I have in my garage a goodly number of cabinet doors from Ikea that may be useful to make stuff out of.
3. I also have in my garage a goodly number of old-ish PCs that could be reasonable workstations for surfing the internet, coding an Arduino/other microprocessor, etc. Also, a few cases, power supplies, mobos, and RAM that just need to have a few more components added on to complete more PCs. These are all older- P3 type items, but most with dual processors, so a light Linux distro (something aimed at the netbook market, for instance) should run quite well on them. We'll need to come up with accessories (monitors, keyboards, mice) but that not be that hard.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:06 pm 

I also have a P3-era computer or three that could populate a bench or lab--a few might even have a serial port.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hey everyone, just to keep us on track, long ago we started a topic for discussion of group/space assets. For this purpose, please add to this thread instead. I'm not trying to be a forum cop, just hoping to keep our information properly located and easy to find. Thanks all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

crossing my fingers over here in Illinois hoping this happens.