Bulk buy from Digikey

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
uptownmaker

Bulk buy from Digikey

Postby uptownmaker » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:08 am

Anybody want to do a bulk DK order?

I'm thinking I want to buy some Atmega328s along with the associated crystals and caps, so I can do more flexible Arduino programming on breadboards. Problem is, they're $4.30 in single quantity at DK and $2.70 at 25 or more.

I don't want to spend $70 on a huge tube of these things, but I also don't want to pay a mint for them. I've found them at other sites for $0.75 more than the 25 qty, so I can get them from there, but I'd rather share with someone and get 'em cheaper.

Anyone interested?

Judeling

Re: Bulk buy from Digikey

Postby Judeling » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:13 pm

Mike sorry not at this time. But ...

Google Docs or the Wiki should probably have a spreadsheet for joint buys.

Part Qty and price break Qty with a expiration date.
Others the could add to the qty and if you hit the price break Qty before the expiration date make the order.

A weekly purge/order date could then be run.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:58 pm

I think the flutterwumper designs use PIC controllers. We could use them for a lot of projects; want to order some of those? I could probably go for another couple of Arduinos as well, though I don't have a particular use for them yet.

noise
Global Moderator

Postby noise » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:54 am

I would be in for Atmega's (and other arduino parts too).
Make it happen.

DanBackslide

Postby DanBackslide » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:36 pm

I'd be up for Arduino parts as well, esp. 328s. (My current board is an old ATMega8 version.)
73 de KC0DZY

uptownmaker

Postby uptownmaker » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:52 pm

Okay, I'll pull together a parts list. I'm thinking about probably the key components for the Arduino- a crystal, a couple of caps, a reset button, bypass cap, and pull-up resistor.

I already have a couple of these, but other folks may want to consider them. They'll allow you to program the Atmega on a breadboard as readily as you would normally with the whole big fancy board wrapped around it. Also, we may want to buy some voltage regulator ICs and power supply jacks. Other options include RS-232 level shifters so you can use a regular serial port for the programming.

meat_raffle

Postby meat_raffle » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:52 am

uptownmaker wrote:Anybody want to do a bulk DK order?

I'm thinking I want to buy some Atmega328s along with the associated crystals and caps, so I can do more flexible Arduino programming on breadboards. Problem is, they're $4.30 in single quantity at DK and $2.70 at 25 or more.

If these are to be used with the Arduino IDE they will need to have the Boot loader programed into them.

Anyone have a programmer that will work?
Or I guess we could make one.

-mark-

uptownmaker

Postby uptownmaker » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:47 am

I have one programmer that I'm reasonably sure works, AND one that I want to fix (it went dead at work and got pitched), AND I have access to them at the office if both of those other options fail.

Or we could just make one...

lewinski

Postby lewinski » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:51 pm

I have a USBtinyISP that works great for applying bootloaders. You can use the ICSP header on the Arduino board, or I have a hand wired board that works pretty well. I can bring it to a meeting in a couple weeks when I'm back from India if no other solution has been found.

adamwolf

Postby adamwolf » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:24 pm

I've got pic programmers and avr programmers. I'd be interested in a bulk digikey order, and more than that, I'll volunteer to coordinate regular bulk orders if anyone thinks thats a good idea.

Return to “General Discussion”