Art Car/Bike/Boat Event

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
uptownmaker

Art Car/Bike/Boat Event

Postby uptownmaker » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:24 am

This year, the annual circum-lake art car parade is "cancelled" because they were unable to afford a parade permit.

HOWEVER, this Saturday, an art car cruise around Lake Harriet will be taking place, followed by music at the Bandshell.

For more info, visit their website, and if you can make it on Saturday, show up to support some very cool folks who've made some very cool things!

paulsobczak
Site Admin

Re: Art Car/Bike/Boat Event

Postby paulsobczak » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:25 pm

Cool, I saw some good bluegrass there on the July 3rd.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:07 am

I'm sure there will be some crazy stuff! Don't know if I can whip up an art bike before then, but I might go anyway.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:01 pm

I will probably go to this tomorrow and bring some TC Maker flyers. If anyone else is going, please if possible bring some flyers too!

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:57 am

Yesterday I printed up some flyers at Kinko's and my wife and I headed off for this event.

Somehow I had the impression that people would be gathering in Linden Hills, but that wasn't the case. I was able though to place some flyers at Sebastian Joe's Ice Cream and another business.

We then learned that Barbette's was on Lake St. and my wife dropped me off there. I got to Barbettes' after 5 PM, but saw several of the art cars and art bikes. Among them was a car covered in animal bones, one with a model head above the roof and scissors stuck in its bleeding eye, another resembling a post-apocolypse buggy, another with "I will not write on the car" written repeated on the car, and the famous grass covered van. For decorated bikes, I saw the "Bee Green" bicycle, a dragonfly, a fish, and others.

After visiting Barbette's I did not have transportation and was too exhausted to continue to Lake Harriet for the bandshell happenings.

uptownmaker

Postby uptownmaker » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:41 pm

FWIW, the rave-on-wheels was built (in part) by two of my students from the first session electronics class- Andy and Meg. They're taking it to Burning Man this summer, and later plan to add some Arduino controlled lighting effects to it.

I told them I'd help out with that.

Of course, as is always the case, I was too dumb to bring a camera. Must see to that.

Return to “General Discussion”