Site Logo

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Governing Board Officer Nominations
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:21 pm 

swinkdaddy wrote:
Going to make a motion to postpone Elections until the June Biz meeting.

Dude. You're killing me here.

Yeah, let's wait more, 'cause maybe then this Maker thing will finally die a natural death, so everybody can breathe a sigh of relief & say "whew THAT was close"? No. That ain't right.

Compromise Idea: we'll be working on the By-Laws first anyway, tomorrow night. And there's already language in there, relating to the first-time elections, which will ONLY be relevant to the first elections (with that "self-destruct" clause). How about we make an edit to that part, saying essentially, first term for elected Board members will last only 1 year (or even shorter?) as opposed to 2. Thereafter, 2-year terms of office between elections will be the norm.

That will allow us to get people in place on schedule, and get the GROUP formally established (incorporated as cooperative nonprofit, etc). It will also give us real time to look & plan ahead, WHILE we're actually accomplishing things & moving forward with the group's goals.

Can you live with that?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:33 pm 

i for one don't think we should amend the term for one year. starting up something like this is NOT going to take only 12 months to be rolling, and continuity of leadership is going to be key. we do have the means within the bylaws for special elections to be called, or terms to end early should either the group, or the board decide we need a change.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:56 pm 

I guess, I am not as Gung-Ho, as may be necessary.
I had a interactive/animation business back in 2000/01 with a nice art studio lease in the warehouse dist . All it took was a dry spell in work and the loss of my paying studio partner to make me lose my shirt. Took me years(5) to pay back creditors. So yah, my gut is telling me that research/planning/group buy in, should be the basis of moving forward. Not just some arbittary date.

If we really want this, it will happen... If we lose interest by plodding forward, then how interested were we to start with.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:14 pm 

Money is one thing, movement is another.

I agree that when we've got some cash on the books, we're playing for keeps & need to take every prudent precaution. (I have some very preliminary but very interesting & hopeful news in that regard, btw, which I'll save for tomorrow night.)

Look. If you're not so sure now that you want to expose yourself to further liability, that's understandable and I have no hard feelings. Once bit, twice shy. It's just, y'know, we need a secretary; if necessary, I'll bump myself again, this time into the Secretary position, so we have at least one nominee for each of the posts we've defined. (Seriously, I'll do whatever it takes.)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:23 pm 

actually there was a LOT of interest, however, remarkably little in actually managing or organizing things. which makes sense. rarely do you have dozens of folks volunteering to pour over minituia of contract law or figure out how to structure a study to determine if we should be charging 40 or 120 a month for membership.

the folks who are still "active" are those who are the most interested in shaping how the group will form up, and until we actually have something to show for our efforts folks aren't going to come back with regularity. generally speaking we don't and won't have a lot of folks who want to RUN a shop, we have a lot of folks who want to USE a shop they don't have to manage, or deal with stocking, which is in part the point of the group.

no, another month isn't going to matter to the general member, but at this point we as a group don't have any formal structure and are spinning our wheels in that we don't have anyone authorized to even speak to a newspaper for the group, or a viable means to open a bank account and *ponder* donations, much less preliminary dues.

as a side note, this is NOT necessarily final before we incorporate, this gets us to a point where we CAN consider it. we may never actually incorporate, we may organize under another orginization via an agreement with them. personally i think that the path forward here is we pass the bylaws and elect a board, set nominal orginizing dues of ~20$ a month (which would get you 10$ off a month of "real" dues for as many months as you contribute once we have a space) and use that $ to consult with legal council and figure out which i's and t's need crossing and dotting to become the most apt type of corp for our stated goals.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:23 pm 

Stumbling on that board link really brought up some long buried fears. (read panics).
I hearby decline Secretary and nominate Theo.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:46 pm 

swinkdaddy wrote:
I hearby decline Secretary and nominate Theo.

OK, it's cool. I accept, and withdraw my nomination for any other positions. (I'm an old-school paper note-taker, though, with my own version of "shorthand", just so everyone's clear.)

So we're back to one accepted nomination for each Board position, now. That should streamline the election process. ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:48 pm 

partnership != llc, but again this is not a legal entity yet, it's us getting to a position where we can do that.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:58 pm 

Quote:
partnership != llc

I know, but I cant rationalize that with a panic attack. it just happens then sticks with you whenever you think about it.
Theo will do a great job even with his shorthand. I know he is committed, I just stepped up to fill the void. as long as its filled with someone who cares then I am happy.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:19 pm 

that's cool.

--
but will you be mollified as well?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next