Site Logo

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Governing Board Officer Nominations
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:26 am 

Quote:
I know of someone who will not be at the business meeting Wednesday but desires to vote.

Maybe we can come up with a one-time system of "phone in" voting, that allows anyone who throws their hat in at the meeting, to be considered.
We could call a list of people when all the names are figured out, and hand the phone to the election judge who could record the vote.

I know kinda lame/awkward, but for those connected via cell, it would allow real time votes for those who cant make it.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:59 am 

Might not be necessary, y'know. I'm waiting to hear from Mike/uptown, and all other nominees are unopposed.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:19 am 

yes, i believe that via tha constitution and our standing policy that we adopted a few meetings back, you can vote in absentia ONLY ON THE SPECIFIC QUESTION.

meaning you can vote to approve or not approve the by laws as is, however if they are changed *at all* your vote will be discarded.

likewise you can vote for an officer who has been nominated and accepted, however if they are eliminated in runoffs or decide to drop out, your vote will not be counted.

absentee votes should be (imho) either on paper and signed with a body there, phoned in to someone at the meeting prior to balloting, or emailed to (2) people who will be attending the meeting who are not in question for a position. (so there's a verifiable ballot)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:31 am 

hmm... so for confusions sake i'm going to decline pres and accept veep, i've been pondering mikes point on actually having elections rather than a ratification.

i'm not terribly concerned about the two jobs being too much work, realistically we're all still going to be pitching in as much as we can, and who ever doesn't get particular positions and is willing to help will still be getting as much work as they can handle delegated i'm sure.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:16 am 

Theo wrote:
uptownmaker wrote:
I'm sensing a bit more haste in this process than I'd prefer... [etc]

All right, no, I hear you, but I have to disagree. I think we've waited, poked around and squandered quite enough of the momentum we started with. The idea began in January; interest peaked in February. It's May.

So let's have it. Are you in? For real?

I wouldn't have accepted if I wasn't. I'm taking this very seriously, because I do want to see it succeed and succeed long-term.

For the record, I don't really have an interest in power or seeing things done my way. I have an interest in seeing them done right, with deliberate care and intent and an eye for long-term success. I agree that we spent too much time getting to this point, and I see the need for urgency and progress, just not for haste.

If the balance of the members at Wednesday night's meeting are content with the system as laid out, I'll be mollified.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:18 am 

all please note, if we're happy after the meeting, uptown has given us permission to call him molly from now on.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:21 am 

I withdraw my nomination for President.
I'll stand up for VP, though. Let's let that post be the white-knuckle race.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:31 am 

hmm ok i'll withdraw myself from veep. (although it'd be fun to see the instant runoff thingy work)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:33 pm 

Quote:
I have an interest in seeing them done right, with deliberate care and intent and an eye for long-term success. I agree that we spent too much time getting to this point, and I see the need for urgency and progress, just not for haste.

If the balance of the members at Wednesday night's meeting are content with the system as laid out, I'll be mollified.

Going to make a motion to postpone Elections until the June Biz meeting.

Reasoning:
1: I think the by-laws deserve a significant meeting time to go through
2: A number of nominations have come at the last minute
3: Would like to have elections solidified to be able to send out a absentee ballots.

I personally, would like some time to research "starting a non profit organization" before making a mistake that could set us back months.

EDIT: I WITHDRAW THIS MOTION, Metis and Theo made good arguments to 1,2,3.

Last edited by swinkdaddy on Tue May 12, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:20 pm 

i agree that the bylaws need a chunk of time, however they've been available for 3 weeks now, and generated comment on (more or less) one item, which has been explained, and not countered. one thing that came up at the constitution meeting was that we did NOT want to do a line by line edit of the by laws in general meeting, but that committee would author them, for general approval. i would LOVE to see more discussion on them in case the meeting missed a major item, but not a lot has come up.

unless we choose to close nominations well before a meeting we're by necessity going to have nominations up to elections, and then have a period of time to campaign, and politic, which i'm not sure is conducive to generating consensus.

in theory, an email went out to all members of the forum this morning, but the forum has choked on it, so it's being manually done, including instructions for absentee balloting. it's not ideal notice, but should be well over 24 hour notice.

in no way do elections or bylaws directly impact our future attempts to become a NFP or even a tax exempt charitable group. in order to file those items we need bylaws, however we, as a group, need bylaws in order to have a board able to function and consider legal incorporation. if the board, or the groups legal counsel finds that we need to amend our constitution or bylaws we'll have the medium by which to do that. until we *are* a legal entity, our "club" by-laws would only serve as structure for ourselves in order to progress.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next