Site Logo

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Welcome to Twin Cities Maker
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:09 pm 

I just happened to see a link to this potential project on hackszine.com and I just about fell out of my chair. I've been lusting after something like this ever since I read about the TechShop in SF a couple of years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

emevenson wrote:
I just happened to see a link to this potential project on hackszine.com and I just about fell out of my chair. I've been lusting after something like this ever since I read about the TechShop in SF a couple of years ago.

Never seen the Hackzine site, looks like it is some type of subset of the make blog. Anyways I am glad the word is getting out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:27 pm 

I, too, am interested in such a space. I was hoping to work on setting one up somewhere in the Midwest. I'm glad someone got around to it before I did.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:22 am 

Hi All,

Very excited to see a potential make space in MN. I dont know if you saw this already but you have been mentioned in a Wired blog post this morning as well. As a longtime hacker/maker I would love to hook up with other people in the city around some fun solar hacks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:05 pm 

paulsobczak wrote:
I invite all of you to start discussion about what you would like to see happen in the future.

Right, so I'm thinking out loud here. I'm just going to describe what would be ideal. This is obviously not perfectly thought-through and totally flexible.

I'd love to have a place where I could work on projects that are bigger than my home workspace allows or requires tools that I don't have (and don't want to either afford or store). If such a place were a clone of the Menlo Park Tech Shop, with a cost of $125 per month and all, I might buy one-month at a time once in a while. I'd frankly be more likely to buy into the business(?) (or coop or whatever) with a much greater one-time cost and a much smaller ongoing fee. I'd like the place to be more of a community than a business; omewhere that I might make friends, but even if not that, where I could find people to be knowledge-resources and where we share the capital expense of putting something like this together.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:50 pm 

Saw this site at the MAKE blog. I would love a place to learn to solder better and have other people to tell me why I suck at it. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:05 am 
Site Admin

I just did my usual browsing of hackerspaces.org and nearly fell off my chair when I saw a balloon in Minnesota! But it's 2am so right now I'm just here to say I'm very interested in something along the lines of this in the Mpls/St. Paul Area

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:45 am 
Site Admin

Pyrodogg wrote:
I just did my usual browsing of hackerspaces.org and nearly fell off my chair when I saw a balloon in Minnesota! But it's 2am so right now I'm just here to say I'm very interested in something along the lines of this in the Mpls/St. Paul Area

Great! I am glad people are still moving in here after the initial make/wired blog posts. I think we should put up fliers around the area but only after a few meetings.

-paul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:43 pm 
Global Moderator

I've been trying to think where else to post it, I notified my AM/EX rocketry group of course, I also posted it on the MORC forum (Minnesota Off-Road Cyclists) since there are lots of makers in the cycling community.

I have a couple other ideas in mind.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:30 pm 
Site Admin

thanks for your work. I know there is a decent base of circuit benders in the area as I attend a workshop a year ago and quite a few people showed up, I am not sure where they congregate, if they do on the interwebs, does anybody know?