Site Logo

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Saturday, Studio Bricolage, direction, getting rolling
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:23 pm 

i prolly came off a bit harsh earlier, but i really think we've got community in spades right now. we're getting 20+ bodies weekly at common roots, even just to hang out and we've certainly got the bits volunteered to outfit at least the beginnings of a shop.

we need to do something with that energy, and get some direction, and theo and my conversation with steve really reinforced that we *could* wander along, or we can get a general plan and move towards it. if we take the first location we think we can afford and looks decent we're not only ignoring the potential for growth, but ignoring what we want to DO with it long term. most people don't buy the first vehicle they see on the lot, they sort out if they need kid safety, towing capiacity, luggage room and/or sexy. we do not, and can't figure out everything at this point, but knowing if we're going for a pickup or a geo metro is a BIG difference, and the issues theo and i outlined above are the sorts of things that we've going to want to address.

IF we were to partner with SB, there's a lot of gear they come with so we wouldn't be moving into an empty space.

i DO want our home to be a club house as well as a shop, but if it's not an apt home we're going to drive a wedge into the community as we can't fulfill the wants of segments of the group. we will not be everything to every maker, nor can we i don't think, but without a general plan, we're not going to move forward on the momentum we've built via our informal meet ups and projects.

we should NOT take a lease we can't afford, but we also need to have a strategy on how we want to, and can grow into what we want to become.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:04 pm 

paulsobczak wrote:
I am unaware of anybody that has raised their had for donating money, has that changed?
Heh. Yes and no. I'm sorry to be so annoyingly mysterious, but I want to be 110% for-damn-sure before I start dropping names, and I have some independent corroboration to do before we meet for business on Wednesday.

For now, let's stick with the basics: We're looking for workshop space which will be suitable for our group's diverse needs, as Twin Cities Maker. Studio Bricolage is also looking for a space, as is Twin Cities Open Circuit. These are disparate groups, with distinct personalities and interests, but these interests overlap enough to be well served by sharing a single carefully-chosen, thoughtfully-prepared, well-managed shop.

Any one of these groups could organize a space on their own, and it would get used some of the time. (For example, Leonardo's Basement, which is focused primarily on science-ed programs for kids, currently sits empty for most of the week.) A somewhat larger space with a broader focus could easily service different groups, with savvy management and a good calendar/scheduling system. (Another LB example here... the 3-night "Keeping the Smoke In" basic electronics class that UptownMaker is teaching, starting Tuesday.)

One of the main reasons we've all been getting together is so we can pool resources and knowledge. My thought is simply to take that further, because I'm starting to see how that can be possible, and it's really exciting. 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:09 am 

So, um, you guys were busy this weekend? Personally, I'd like to hear more about what going under the LB umbrella would entail, as I think that would be the quickest way to get NFP status. One concern I do have about joining up w/ SB or the Freegeeks, is that we're going to need more and more space initially to be able to house the different groups, and at some point (that I don't know honestly where it would start) we're going to see a diminishing return on the amount we spend vs. the size of the space we can find. Though, honestly, with our group's diverse focus, we would probably need the space for all of the different types of project areas anyhow, so I probably answered my own question. Sorry so fractured, I just started on my coffee.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:10 am 

mmm coffee.

a lot of what it would entail we'd need to explore. (part of the ideas of these committees) i.e. would a joint tcm/sb group get a seat on the lb board, are they a separate corp that's got a parent board, etc etc.

just thinking about the LB space: (which won't work for SB or us for a variety of reasons, but as a space is useful to think about)

it's ~4k sqft.
*they have a ~15x25 comp lab/clean space, that freegeek could use for classes, i'd think you could seat 10-12 in there comfortably around the centre table with room for cases.
*they have 2 similar sized spaces that are project benches (kiddo height) and tables, for messier projects
*they have a ~15x10 lounge
*they have a ~15x20 adult tools space with their CNC machines, and some big saws in storage
*they have a chunk of storage all over.

so for the FG, SB and TCM:
~400 sq ft of comp lab (FG and comp lab space for classes and research)
~400 sq ft of electronics benches and dust sensetive gear (CNC laser, etc)(FG testing gear, electronics classes,
~1000 sq ft of mixed wood/metal/messy shop
~300 sq ft of members lounge/ kitchen
~300 sq ft of consignment shop/gallery/public space
~600 sq ft of storage

that's ~3000 sq ft, we accommodate all three groups, (and maybe others) gaining great resources for each other. it'd be nice for us to have a few research stations, but we don't necessarily *need* a full lab although it'd greatly expand our capabilities, but FG doesn't necessarily need a shop, but it'd allow them to do custom case things.

also consider, if we've got ~15 folks kicking in 40-60 bucks right now, just from the poll, we're looking at ~750 a month, which won't get us much space, but if SB's mailing list (~4x the size of us) can kick in the same, we're up into looking at 2000+ sq ft places, add in FG, and we're looking at a *real* shop, and one that we won't outgrow, or be limited by how many bodies we can squish in and what projects we can accomplish in it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:03 pm 

This thread is a lot to read and ponder, and I've just been skimming it. I'll have to post on this after I've really given this some thought.
I guess I'm just letting people know that I, for one, am still interested.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:29 pm 

Galactus wrote:
This thread is a lot to read and ponder, and I've just been skimming it. I'll have to post on this after I've really given this some thought.
I guess I'm just letting people know that I, for one, am still interested.
Glad to hear it. :)

Steve & Michael & I really did chat nearly nonstop for like six hours that day, on all sorts of subjects relevant to running an organization like the ones we're envisioning (Twin Cities Maker, Studio Bricolage) so yeah, the writeup kinda reflects that.