Skillz Bartering database

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
Gyvven

Skillz Bartering database

Postby Gyvven » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:35 pm

This is meant to be an extension of the previous posting of the "What do we have? An equipment and skills inventory". I think we could use a database of the skills people are willing to either teach and/or provide other members. I especially like the idea of bartering knowledge; I'll teach you if you'll teach me.

Eventually we can have a database of people that members can look to to find a person with a specific skill.

My skill list:
3D printing - hardware and certain software. Troubleshooting.
3D modeling - generally geometric shapes in AutoCAD and Revit. Difficult to teach due to the high cost of software.
Woodworking - power tools and most hand tools.
Welding - I can make decent beads with a MIG.
Electronics - I can read and assemble from schematics, and have an idea of what some of the stuff does.
PCB creation - can design and fabricate custom PCBs from schematics.
Metal casting - have done some aluminum sand casting but I'm working on casting with moulds from 3D printer.

Other, less Maker relevant skills:
Automotive: autobody repair, painting, engine rebuilding.
Architectural design, sustainable green design
Renewable energy
Permaculture
Instructables is my crack.

You can't have Success without the suck.

Too many irons, not enough fire.

dfeldman

Re: Skillz Bartering database

Postby dfeldman » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:46 am

My skill list:

Computery stuff:
C/C++ software development (my real job)
HTML/JavaScript/Django/jQuery web development
Linux system administration
Embedded progamming

Electronics:
Arduino programming
Bluetooth serial communication
Prototyping
Some Raspberry Pi stuff

Gyvven

Postby Gyvven » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:48 am

Thanks Daniel.

He's the only person that has any skills he's willing to share? Come on folks, don't make me call on you personally.

cgallaty

Postby cgallaty » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:59 am

I'll add my $0.02. I can throw a bunch of programming knowledge into the mix. I've been thinking about this from the other angle. Perhaps I'm just stuck in my 'day job' mentality, but I look at any project in terms of skills and tasks. There are a number of things that people work on at the space that require a stretch of their existing skills. There are also a lot of things that I might not consider a 'skill', but someone else may need. i.e. I can run a hand saw, big deal, so can a number of other folks, but not everyone is comfortable doing that.

Granted I always want to throw code at something, but I see the best way to boot strap this is to work backwards. We have a host of tools in the 'Factory. We also have a ton of projects. What may be easier for folks would be to have a way for people to click through a survey and check off things they have experience with. I would be something that people could suggest other skills as well.

The other bit was that on the project side, I think more people would be willing to help out if tasks where defined in terms of discrete needs. i.e. I need this shape cut out, etc. We've all had the experience where someone asks for a bit of help and it turns out to be a much bigger endeavor than we bargained for. Listing out current projects and needs might help folks id what skills are needed and other folks to step up and volunteer that info/help.

I'm all for greasing the wheels on something like this. I can't tell you how many times I've had projects stuck on one little thing. To be able to barter something else to move something forward would be huge. I think it might also serve as a good way to see where we need more classes and where membership interest is in somethings. (Without having to pull it out of folks.)
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
-- Hubert H. Humphrey

Gyvven

Postby Gyvven » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 am

Chris,

You are THE person I was thinking of when I first started pondering this. I thought about a skill list that people could check their comfort or proficiency level, but I thought getting a list of those skills from people would be a good start because I can't possibly concieve of all the skills we have aggragated in our group. I know there are probably many skills that really don't apply to a makerspace, or are so specialized and take years of learning that it would be impossible to teach anyone else. Yet these skills could still be bartered if that person is willing to perform their skill in exchange for something else.

One thing I would like to engender in our members is a deeper sense of belonging to a community. (Ugh, that sounds sappy.) What I'm trying to say is we owe it to each other to make sure our projects are getting everything they need to be completed in a timely fashion. I have a ton of projects that are languishing because I'm having trouble finding the right people to help or learning the proper skills to finish them. I'm slowly finding the right people or learning the proper skills but, as I say, it's slow and my project list keeps growing.

Topic for another post: I think we need more group projects with more buy-in from our members. Karin mentioned this and I think she's right, getting more members involved in group projects is a great way to build a stronger sense of community.

mcsteve

Postby mcsteve » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:08 am

Alright, I'll bite:

• Soldering
  • Arduino programming
  • Basic electronics
  • Python programming
  • Linux
  • Bridgeport operation
  • Metal lathe operation
  • Basic (very basic) woodworking
  • Oscilloscope usage
  • Amateur radio
  • Photography
  • Basic videography & video editing
  • Lockpicking

Slightly more "General" skills
  • Electrical wiring
  • Light plumbing
  • Automotive repair & maintenance
  • Sheetrock
  • Painting
  • Appliance repair
  • All sorts of household repair
  • Web server administration

That's all I've got for now, I'll edit this post if I think of more.
If it ain't broke, your version is outdated.

Return to “General Discussion”