Site Logo

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New flexible 3D printing filament!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:18 pm 

I just saw this new filament from a company in Spain. Super flexible and stretchy, no need for a heated bed or hairspray. It's a little on the spendy side, $26 for 1/2 lb. (250 grams), $45 for 1.1 lbs. (500 grams), not including shipping... from Spain.

www.recreus.com

I came across it while cruising around Thingiverse and saw this post for a printable sneaker; http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:154188

This could really open some options for wearable or flexible things. Imagine being able to print a fine detail item to make a plaster mold and remove it without destroying the printed piece. Costume parts, body parts, little rubber feet for your 3D printer. The mind reels at the possibilities.

You can't have Success without the suck.

Too many irons, not enough fire.

Post subject: Re: New flexible 3D printing filament!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:29 am 

I first heard about this flexible filament from Eric because the Arizona maker space apparently got some from Germany. A chemistry friend said this is "elastomer-ized" PLA which gives it its flexibility like those soft rubbery iPhone cases.

For what it's worthy, it looks like MakerBot is now selling this stuff for $130/kg (2.2 lbs).

http://store.makerbot.com/filament

I wonder if we could make some using the FilaBot?

- Doug

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:48 pm 

That would be really cool to be able to make our own. Figuring out what to add to the PLA shouldn't be too hard... getting proportions right might be. Interesting that the Makerbot site says to set your bed at 60C, and melting point is 56C, nozzle temp is 100C, but the Recreus guys don't use a heated bed and I'm not entirely sure what they're extrusion temp is, I'm fairly certain it's higher than 100C.

Doug, is the Filabot yours but on loan to the space? Will it do 3mm? Nearly everyone I know that has a 3D printer uses 3mm, except for the Makerbot guys.

I'd also like to get some of the dissolvable filaments, but I'd need to add a 2nd extruder head first. Maybe I'll work on that this winter.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:12 pm 

The FilaBot has both 3mm and 1.75mm nozzles. Still waiting on delivery of the control panel, which includes the temperature controller. I use 1.75mm filament (mostly PLA) on my Thing-O-Matic.

Maybe we can try to get the FilaBot running at the maker-faire/hack fest event thing someone mentioned was going on in November? One of the things that it could use is an automatic spooling system to take up the filament.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:45 am 

Well, we are planning a 24 hour build at the Micro Minne Faire but it's a skeeball game, someone is supposed to be sending out the notice and setting up events on the various sites. We do want exhibitors of projects, complete or not, so I think the Filabot would be perfect. And I see no reason we can't try and get it running on or before the faire.

I could use some ABS, even just a small amount to test my new bed and learn the proper settings and techniques. I'm thinking about ordering a 10lb bag of ABS from Amazon, for $15 plus $10 s+h. PLA seems to be a bit higher and harder to source, $13 incl. s+h for 2lbs on ebay with color.

Found a list on a forum that has the known small order pellet suppliers and it sums up essentially what I've found. http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2733/plastic-pellets-for-filament-reviews/. I like the Open Source Printing LLC offerings, but Carl's Industrial Salvage is reasonable and has nearly everything except PLA.

Lets get together weds for a bit, I'd love to see the filabot.

Jon