Raspberry Pi

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
smittex

Raspberry Pi

Postby smittex » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:37 am

For those that have not been following the RPi, it's lead time is now less than a week, so order yours now for 35$!

On another note, who is interested in collaborating development or just fooling around with it?

So far, I've got the OS running and connected to the network. My next steps are upgrading the OS, installing Apache, PHP, MySQL, and python on it and getting bidirectional GPIO working via a Web page.

I'm also working on another project in tandem porting Bus Pirate to a Pic32 that will give the RPi 78 additional GPIO's via USB.

Let me know if you're interested because I can sure use the help.

Thorpedo

Re: Raspberry Pi

Postby Thorpedo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:10 am

I was wondering what a Raspberry Pi was and found this description in an FAQ:

The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card sized computer that plugs into your TV and a keyboard. It’s a capable little PC which can be used for many of the things that your desktop PC does, like spreadsheets, word-processing and games. It also plays high-definition video. We want to see it being used by kids all over the world to learn programming.

Order page.

Newark order page.

Has anyone used one of these before. How does it compare to an Arduino?

smittex

Re: Raspberry Pi

Postby smittex » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:04 am

I've been using it for about 2 Weeks now and absolutely love it. Compared to the arduino, it has an OS, more ram, onboard ethernet, More processing power, loss of software. 2 drawbacks are no ADC and the io pins are not 5v tolerant. You'll need a buffer to interface with 5v. I've written a post about it here: http://smittex.net/?p=97

Return to “General Discussion”