Site Logo

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Laser Cutter checked-out
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:09 pm 

Hi! I was wondering if someone could point me to who can train people in on the Laser Cutter and/or when the next class is. I didn't see one on the calendar. I'm Michael Englehorn, AKA Brandon's Minion AKA Minion. :twisted:
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Laser Cutter checked-out
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:40 am 

The machine's owner is Doug, known as thorpedo here on the forum.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:23 pm 

I have submitted requests to have new laser cutter (link) classes scheduled.

There are a lot of other classes that should be taught, but maybe the system has become too insular to use? A soldering class would be nice, maybe in conjunction with how to etch circuit boards. I would really like to take the class on using that Milling machine, myself. I did take the welding class, which I thought was well done.

My understanding is that classes create additional revenue for the space. In addition, taking classes makes members more involved in the space. Also it is my understanding that classes help bring in as students, people who are not yet members of the space. For these reasons I think classes is an aspect of the space that should be promoted more. I think the website Classes page should be updated more often. Maybe we need a communications officer or something?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:02 am 

(semi-off topic)
we actually have a communications director (me) and in this case the responsible staff person is the events coordinator (danbackslide) who manages those sorts of things.

classes get taught when folks are willing and have time to teach them, which is definitely less than i think we'd all like to see, but most of us have a lot of irons in the fire, if not tossing the anvils in too.

to teach a class is pretty simple, email "events" at this domain, (i believe there's an online form in the works again, i'd set one up a long time ago, but it became disused) and they'll get things sorted in reasonably short order.

in terms of getting info like that disseminated, the wiki has a lot of that in less than convenient form, but it's one of those anvils.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:39 am 

I talked to a couple of people at the open house last night (7/18) and gave them my email address of esq37 at yahoo dot com to try and set up a class for Monday, July 23rd from 7 to 9 pm.

The Weld-on #3 stuff that I ordered came in. It is the stuff used for making aquariums out of acrylic. I thought it might be useful for making sculptures and assembling parts made of acrylic cut out using the laser cutter.

I talked directly to Scott, who is apparently the events person, about why my emails were not responded to, and he said that he hadn't checked emails recently.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:09 pm 

Scott came through and set up some laser cutter classes (link) on Eventbright! Please note that these are 6:30 to 8:30, not 7 to 9.