Anyone with laptop repair experience want to help me?

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
wammie
Site Admin

Anyone with laptop repair experience want to help me?

Postby wammie » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:55 am

I have to replace a fan in a laptop. The laptop is a gaming-class Asus machine bought a little over three years ago, and is a relative's primary computer. I will likely try the repair today. I have limited experience disassembling laptops, but I have at least general directions for this particular machine.

Fortunately, the whole machine doesn't have to be disassembled to install the fan - primarily the battery, hard drive, and keyboard panel, as I recall.

I'll try to get to the Hack Factory sometime today for this. If someone's willing to help, post here and let me know when you'd be available. I can also do it Sunday or Monday, as I have Monday off from work.

Thanks!

wammie
Site Admin

Re: Anyone with laptop repair experience want to help me?

Postby wammie » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:20 pm

I'm at the H.F. now. Finishing up a late lunch and then I'll look to fixin' this thing.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Well... I got the new fan in last evening, but the laptop is still having some thermal trouble. I'd like to put some new thermal compound on the chip heat sink pads. Do we have any at the Hack Factory? Or can someone spare some Arctic Silver?

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:15 pm

I wound up getting some Arctic Silver at Radio Shack ($11). After applying this to the chip heat sinks, the laptop fan behaved much better. :-)

Return to “General Discussion”