Site Logo

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brewing session
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:37 pm 

Incriminating photos have been added to the Flickr pool.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:54 pm 

darus67 wrote:
Incriminating photos have been added to the Flickr pool.

Oh yikes. This isn't is bad as I thought it would be, and yet, it's so much worse.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:22 am 

come wednesday, could someone fill me in on the minnesota laws about brewing. at age 20... Really want to make some real cider...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:38 am 

Thanks to Metis, Darius, and Theo for coming over yesterday to help out. It was a lot of fun to be able to show people my "system", or more appropriately, "various containers that I move liquid to and from". We were discussing a bit about building a brew sculpture, and I thought I'd throw a link out from the Northern Brewer forums where people display their setups:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtop ... =5&t=69096

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:57 am 

I wish I could have made it... now I know you only live 4 blocks away ATCF there really isn't an excuse.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:20 am 

a few things:

1)http://hackaday.com/2009/03/22/brew-fridge-thermostat/

2) my understanding (ianal (i am not a lawyer)) is that it's legal for anyone to purchase brewing supplies, it's only the sale or distribution of alcohol to anyone under 21 that's prohibited. so that were we to do a brewing class, under 21 could attend, and participate, but not take anything home that's had yeast added, or sample anything after that point. i've been led to believe that it's legal for anyone over 18 to brew for their own use, or minors with parental permission, however have not researched this myself. i suspect that midwest http://www.midwestsupplies.com/ or northern brewer could tell you with a phone call.

3) some discussion of a basics of brewing class occurred, the general format being 3 or 4 saturdays spread out ~ every other week with most being ~8hrs and the middle being a half day. we'd do the following:
-a batch of type x beer (chosen by those in class)the simplest beer method, full extract (can of concentrate, dry yeast)
-a batch of type x -a slightly more exiting version where you add hops and use wet yeast
-a batch of type x -full grain
-a batch of another beer
-a cider or simple wine
-a mead
the idea is that everyone would bring empty bottles, an ~20-30$ fee would be supplies and everyone would bring home a case or three of beer wine and mead (mix of all) so they can see differences in process and product, and different equipment. between idris and myself we've got almost every variety of physical supply from diy startup at 5$ to the bigger money glassware. and we'd cover everything from bottle selection and cleaning to capping and corking, force carbonation and natural carbonation, so you'd leave having done the entire process from ultra simple to more craft level. volume of take home would vary on class size, but intent would be a minimum 6 of each version, and overall volume of stuff would depend on number of bodies, and number of varieties (more folks more varieties, so everyone gets a decent volume, but we can't do TOO many, and only have room/tasks for so many bodies.) if you're interested, squeek, and start saving bottles (we'll need wine, beer, and plastic soda bottles (12, 20 and 2l) but not twist off glass.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:09 pm 

I did some reading, but all I was able to find regarding minors is that it is legal for the parents/guardians of said minor to purchase/give alcohol to the minor for the sole purpose of consuming within the parent/guardian's household.

also I'm going to assume that #1 was a link for the brewing sculpture thingy and that there wasn't any information for youngin's like me in the comments

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:31 pm 

well, a lot of places say that it's unrestricted for folks in the usa (outside of alabama) to anyone over 21, but mn law doesn't' seem to mention that: http://www.beertown.org/statutes/minnesota.htm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:12 pm 

http://www.still-h2o.com/

wow I drive by this place almost every day and I never knew what it was, as soon as I get a job or sell some old text books I'm gonna have to go check it out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:33 pm 

Do any of you brewers have any empty idle 5gallon-ish containers that you could loan to me for about 3 weeks? When I told the guy that was probably making my cider tomorrow, he smacked the packet and activated my yeast, I'm suddenly on a time line...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next