Site Logo

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Project Software Input Needed
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:42 pm 

So I've been batting around putting together my own project software toolkit for a while. I've looked around, and I've been forced to use a lot of different systems and the all are lacking somewhere. I figured I would reach out and ask folks from a Maker perspective, what would you look for in a set of project software? I'll leave it open ended to either open or closed projects.

Some key things I'm already looking at:

* Has to have mobile app with it, easy way to update tasks, add tasks.
* Has to have some web type component.
* Works well for solo (private projects) as well as public (open) projects
* Has to have context and painless status updates

What have you seen, what do you like. If you've trying things before, what did you hate? It would be nice if folks at the space would like to test this thing as we go on Maker type projects. Ideally I want it to be as easy as being able to whip out a phone and snap a pic and try it into a project, either as an update, or a todo, or what have you. Would be nice, if you had something that you where working on, to be able to 'advertise' a need, formed in a small well defined task. "Need part cut on CNC" or "Need this part welded" i.e. quick and easy tasks that someone wanting to help out and jump in, and do so.

It would be nice, to maintain a current 'showcase' of stuff that goes on at the HackFactory. Its never going to happen if there isn't a painless way for someone to maintain status and updates etc. My real reason for working on the software though is that I have a billion projects that I would like to move forward. I just need a good way to categorize them and boil them down to next actions etc.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Project Software Input Needed
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:07 pm 

I could use something like this, if we're thinking along the same lines. It would be nice to have some combination of the features provided by bug tracking/issue tracker/to-do list/instructables/blog software.

I'm lazy, so right now I just have a very very long list of things to do/ideas to pursue in a text file.

(and of course, one of those things to do is to post all of my projects to my blog)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:22 pm 

That is what I'm talking about exactly. I figure there would be a core system and then it would tie into some other module. So you could add a 'post' generically and then 'post' that out. I could see folks wanting to push that out to Twitter, Google+, FaceBook, their blog, etc. Either for bragging or for soliciting help. I mean if A) your project is really kewl and B) you've clearly defined exactly what you need help with, I would imagine it would be rather easy to get it. We have a lot of collaboration now, but it tends to be rather stochastic. Something like this would help to get folks that can't make it on Wed. Etc. I've not done a head count, but it feels as though even when the place is hopping on Wed night, we are still a bit light with respect to our full documented membership. I can see someone that is not currently active with the physical space feeling a bit detached.

The only real difference between a lot of stuff that goes on at the space and say Hack-A-Day is that some one bothered to post something about it. I can see some setup where if someone that does not have access to a camera phone or the like can just lean over and ask someone next to them to snap a pic. That gets auto posted to a group 'bin' or posted to the 'draft' area of the project in question. I do also think that we need to make some terminal available that's reserved for access to post stuff like this. I can tell you that I run across a ton of kewl shit on any given Wed. You would never know that from just looking at the forum or the blog. That's no ones fault, its an opportunity.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:08 pm 

Have you thought of doing an interface with WordPress? Not for a blog, but for a foundation for the administration, sharing, etc. of tasks and whatnot.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:02 pm 

I can see a module to post out to WordPress for blogging et all, but i don't think I'd ever use it as a backend. I have a suite of tools I've put togather over the years that will likely be the base of things.