Anyone have a spare wireless PCMCIA card?

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
jwhite

Anyone have a spare wireless PCMCIA card?

Postby jwhite » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:04 pm

I've got some new code for the LED sign board I'd like to try, and it'll require that laptop to have network access. I threw away my last wireless PCMCIA card just last year, thinking I'd never need it...

If you were more clever than me and still have a spare one, the laptop is right by the weld shop; you can just slot it in.

Cheers,

Jeremy

smittex

Re: Anyone have a spare wireless PCMCIA card?

Postby smittex » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:06 pm

There is a white plastic box in the shelving area named "pcmcia cards" that have several. Its on the 2nd rack in on the left, 1st or 2nd shelf down. There are also some add-on antannae in the appropriately named boxes in that area.

Booka
Global Moderator

Postby Booka » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:02 am

And if that does not work, I can get handfuls of A, B, AB cards, name the manufacturer and I will bring em in.

jwhite

Postby jwhite » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:38 pm

smittex wrote:There is a white plastic box in the shelving area named "pcmcia cards" that have several. Its on the 2nd rack in on the left, 1st or 2nd shelf down. There are also some add-on antannae in the appropriately named boxes in that area.

Thanks - I grabbed an orinico and that looked promising. Of course, it would work in the classroom, but not down by the led sign board where I needed it.

Luckily, Jude was kind enough to unroll 100' of cat 5 so in the 3 minutes I had left tonight, I was able to stand outside, and remotely drive a little blue space ship around our 'screen', all using a Nook's display.

Woohoo!

Cheers,

Jeremy

DanBackslide

Postby DanBackslide » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:15 pm

Rock!

So who's doing the writeup for Make: and Hackaday?
73 de KC0DZY

jwhite

Postby jwhite » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:41 pm

DanBackslide wrote:Rock!

So who's doing the writeup for Make: and Hackaday?

Hmm. What's involved in a writeup? Also, not sure we're quite done yet. I'm hoping to be there on Wednesday and be a bit more social about it. Last few times I was low on time, and so just frantically ran in and out.

Now I'll hopefully have a full space war game to show, along with any messages, colored any way we like, we want to display.

I think there are some alternate strategies being kicked around (I know Jude has been doing a lot of thinking about it), so it probably makes sense to confab at some point. At the least, I should document what I've done to this point, in case others care to try. (I have been regularly updating the source tree; https://github.com/knitfoo/geled , but something a bit more human readable might be nice).

Cheers,

Jeremy

jwhite

Postby jwhite » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:53 am

pyrodogg wrote:Speaking of hackaday has anyone seen this?

http://hackaday.com/2011/10/15/remote-c ... ed-matrix/

No; very interesting. They've been at it longer than us, though. We should connect with them; we've got a fair degree of overlap.

Cheers,

Jeremy

DanBackslide

Postby DanBackslide » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:22 pm

Hive13 has 56 ShiftBrite modules in their window. How many do we have right now? Whatever it is I'll bring in my string, that'll add another 50!
73 de KC0DZY

jwhite

Postby jwhite » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:49 pm

DanBackslide wrote:Hive13 has 56 ShiftBrite modules in their window. How many do we have right now? Whatever it is I'll bring in my string, that'll add another 50!

We have 85 in a 17x5 configuration; another string from you would be awesome! I'm planning to be there tomorrow night, although will probably have to leave on the early side.

They've also spent way more than us; those modules are $4 per pixel.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Return to “General Discussion”