Site Logo

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Unacceptable Behavior - Grounds for membership termination.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:26 pm 
Global Moderator

The women's nights that we are attempting to foster at the Hack Factory had taken some notes on the white board in the front office. Someone decided that it would be funny to deface their meeting notes and ideas. This is so uncool, and only would be done by a 7 year old. However we don't allow members under 18. So that must mean that one of our really uncool ADULT members did this.

NOT COOL!

If I or anyone on the board or another member is witness to this type of harassment, it will be grounds for membership termination, and your privileges will be revoked on-site without review. No exceptions. Do not harass, make fun of, or belittle another group, members or potential members, ever! Got it? I am so pissed right now that someone would feel the need to put something so shitty on the board.

If we want to drive away potential female members before they even show up, you would have done a great job. And if the female community does go away, I will too. We need diversity to survive, collaborate, create, invent, problem solve, and just get to the next level.

If you want to play grab ass, go elsewhere, as I don't want that nor do the other members. What is a joke to one, could be a huge reason for someone else to reject our shop, or put out a bad rap as being misogynistic, rejecting jerks. And I know that our members are so much better then that. Don't let one asshole ruin it for all of us.

Please think before you act, this is a shared space among all the members.

-David Bryan
TC Maker / Hack Factory President and Board member.

Post subject: Re: Unacceptable Behavior - Grounds for membership terminati
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:53 pm 

Thanks for speaking so strongly on this, videoman. I'll voice disappointment and disapproval for myself, as well.

Practical jokes are something that do have a place in our environment, to be sure.
Having said that, misogyny is neither funny, nor practical. Anonymous "practical jokes" are rarely funny, either.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:59 pm 
Global Moderator

Thank you for your support.

I guess I should also say that I'm David Bryan. The president of TC Maker / Hack Factory. We as a board, community, and member ship base will not tolerate this kind of crap anymore. I've also had my shop profile picture defaced, and didn't say anything about it, as it wasn't that big of a deal- giving attention or making a fuss is what they (the uncool people) are looking for. A reaction if you will, and I wasn't about to give into that.

However, doing this to group of members is a whole seperate deal. And goes into attacking a large group of people, who do not deserve to be oppressed. Very uncool.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:38 pm 

Well said, Dave.

I don't want to see this stuff any more either.

This is the 3rd thing I've seen in this vein in the last 2 weeks, and that's 3 times too many.

I'm going to be showing this to some of the folks who don't get online, as they need to know.

Riley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:08 am 

Thanks for standing up for what's right, Dave! Ridicule and harassment is not any part of "be excellent to each other".

Also, thanks for bringing the water station to Rauchfest, I filled up my cup several times.

-Jim Hart

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:38 am 

Holy crap! someone did that. I stand by everything Videoman said. What a sad state of our membership.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:57 am 
Global Moderator

We are pretty sure that we have identified the single member, and asked him to knock it off. First, final, and last warning.