Site Logo

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The amazing never-ending cleaning thread!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:38 pm 

Alright folks, I am creating this thread to keep track of all the cleaning stuff that needs doing at the Hack Factory. I was just there earlier today and took care of the front lounge area bathroom, taking the trash and recycling out, picking up some garbage, and sweeping the cement staircase between the shop and lounge.

As a reminder, there are a couple things that need to be done on pretty much a daily basis. Everyone should be making an effort to do something from this list every time they are at the space:

• Cleaning up your work area before leaving
  • Putting away any tools and materials you took out
  • Sweeping/vacuuming up any sawdust, bits of wire, etc. that you generated during your work
  • Washing any dishes that you used
  • Emptying trash cans/recycling bins when they are full
  • If you're a smoker, scoop out the ashtray by the front door occasionally.

I'm sure there are other important things, but I forget them. Basically, clean up after yourself, and try to leave the space better than you found it.

Now, as far as current needs, it would be awesome if people would volunteer to do some stuff from this list in the next couple days:

• Clean the downstairs bathroom
  • Find a working vacuum and vacuum the front lounge carpet
  • Bring in more toilet paper and some dish soap. Bring me a receipt and I'll pay you back for it.
  • Anything else that looks like it needs doing

And if there are any questions about where to find cleaning supplies, what to do with stuff found laying around the common areas, or obtaining supplies we need, contact me or John Scherer.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:53 am 

I'll crosspost here, because it seems pertinent: Luno (one of the two CNC Petes) is spearheading a cleanup and organization of the CNC area on Saturday, October 1. I'll be there for a couple hours to help him. I'm sure he'd like a helping hand as well as input from anyone invested in how that area is organized.

Also: Thanks to McSteve for being a stand-up, clean-up guy!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.906115,-93.294236
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: The amazing never-ending cleaning thread!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:09 pm 

Has anyone got an extra vacuum cleaner to donate for the front lounge area? Or the time to troubleshoot/repair one of the three we already have?

One of the red ones blows more dust out than it sucks in, the other red one seems to have a bad motor and is a shock hazard with exposed wires in the cord, and the blue one has an issue with the bag not staying attached to the outlet tube.

Also, as far as I know, everything from this list still needs doing, and I don't know if I'll get to it for a couple more days:
  • Clean the downstairs bathroom
  • Find a working vacuum and vacuum the front lounge carpet
  • Bring in more toilet paper and some dish soap. Bring me a receipt and I'll pay you back for it.

Who is volunteering?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:46 pm 

I'll try to remember to bring some dish soap on Tuesday when I come in. Consider it a donation, but I'll give you the receipt so you can keep track of what such things cost and when they are brought in so you know how long they last.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:41 pm 
Global Moderator

I am not sure but I hope to get down there for a few hours before Wednesday, and can spend some time checking out the Vacuum Cleaners, I will see if I have a cord around to replace the frayed one (if the motor is good).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:26 am 

Not to toot my own horn, but I've also been engaged on some cleanup activities in the classroom--with help from Smittex, Stephen and others. I want to reiterate the importance of emptying trash and recycling daily--I had done so myself the day before McSteve had it. We might want larger containers in certain places, but the real answer is that everyone needs to step up and empty bins BEFORE they overflow. We also need to stay on top of dishes--if you use one, wash it. (There is now a soap-dispensing sponge at the kitchen sink for this purpose.) Also, if you see dry dishes in the drying rack, please put them away.

Back to the classroom itself. Along with moving some excess stuff elsewhere (per discussion with John andMcSteve), I've begun a floor cleaning experiment. If you look closely at the classroom floor around the "kitchen" you'll notice that it's clean (minus whatever damage has been done since Friday). We're hoping to bring to full-fruition this Wednesday night, but we need your support, and even better, your help to carry this off.

The plan, which impacts the availability of the classroom for the first part of the open house, is this:

Use many bodies to move furniture either out of the room or to one side of the room. We'll leave the electronics benches, mixer and the like in place, but we want as much "open floor" as is reasonable.

Sweep the floor using compound, starting at the front of the room and moving back towards the door. As the sweepers reach the 1/4 point we let loose with the next wave:

Steam the floor using the small steamer (currently sitting in the back of my truck). Once the Steamer makes enough progress…

we finish the process with a damp mop. (I purchased a twist mop, bucket and a gallon of Simple Green citrus which is currently in the classroom, but will be moved to the "mop closet" when we're through).

It would be great to complete this project with a good buffing (if anyone has access to a machine) or a sponge mop and "mop-n-glo", but I haven't made provisions for doing this on Wednesday.

While the floor is being tended to, others can wipe down the tables, clean the kitchen area (which is in reasonable condition due to recent "attacks" on the mess there), etc.

I'm hoping that with "many hands" we can complete this project in 90 minutes or so. I am willing to start early provided there are people available to help move furniture, man brooms, etc. I know that it is inconvenient to do this on Open House night, but we've been unable to reach "critical mass" otherwise.

I'm starting to suspect that we need to make some cleaning a regular part of Wednesday nights--particularly a "it's 9:45pm, let's pick up the empties, empty the bins, do a once-through policing" effort. The place gets trashed on Wenesdays and it's left to the "day crew" to put the place back in order. This isn't right.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:14 am 

Last night some problem-solving occurred and then I vacuumed the front rooms and Bryan and I straightened them up.

In other news, the shop-vac has a new attachment. Best,

Jen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:28 am 

With the help of rigger and others (how many makers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?) We've replaced the lightbulb in the lobby bathroom with a 100w reveal lightbulb that a lot of us think makes the bathroom look a little better. Personally, I'd like to put 3 more in there, but my hands are tied right now.

The "paint room", or the small utility room next to the classroom has been cleaned out by jrsphoto, rigger, et al. Table cleaned off, floor vacuumed, electronic component table moved into, and network racks moved into. This will be the networking "closet" and storage for working computers. A table in there will be used for computer diagnostics, repair, etc.

The classroom was fully moped and is looking excellent!

Thanks to everyone that helped last night and for your continuing effort to make this a great hackerspace!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:23 am 

Thanks everyone for all the work on the classroom last night. It was starting to look pretty damn good by the time I had to leave.

I brought in 48 rolls of toilet paper last night, so hopefully we don't run out again too soon.

smittex wrote:
With the help of rigger and others (how many makers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?) We've replaced the lightbulb in the lobby bathroom with a 100w reveal lightbulb that a lot of us think makes the bathroom look a little better. Personally, I'd like to put 3 more in there, but my hands are tied right now.

I agree, that bathroom always seems a little dim & dingy. I will ask Jude about the possibility of some extra/different lighting.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:29 pm 

You guys rock! The place looks so different, all in good ways.

Thanks for all the hard work.

This helps us make a really nice impression, on everyone, including the minni-apples folks.

Riley