Classroom messiness

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
smittex

Classroom messiness

Postby smittex » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:46 am

I just want to let everyone know I started to organize the electronic components corner yesterday but I bit off a little more than I could chew and didn't have the time to put everything away. So, the classroom is currently a mess with this half finished organization attempt. I will be coming in today or tomorrow to finish what I started. Feel free to pitch in, but please don't throw everything into a pile as was done before.

rigger

Re: Classroom messiness

Postby rigger » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:09 am

I'm heading over myself to "have a go.". I'll try not to undo anything.
Work. Wander. Rest when I can.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:13 am

Thanks guys!

rigger

Classroom messiness

Postby rigger » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:29 am

Most of the PCs have been moved to a counter downstairs (per meeting w/ John, McSteve, etc.). If you bring one up to use please return it when you're done. (We're working on a better long term solution--perhaps a cabinet or cart.)

I'm headed back this afternoon to move the unused speakers to the loft and to have a go at consolidating
the parts bins. (The bins themselves--not messing with the parts).

It would be helpful if someone with "ownership" of the electronics benches stepped up to clean and organize that area. I can do it, but you may not like it. (I'm going to cross post this request to the 'lectronics hack night post)

I'm also going to investigate mop buckets and mops on my way in.

Finally, the time has come to question the glasses, plates, etc. If people won't wash the community dishes they use then they need to go away. (I mean the dishes, not the people but when you think about it...)

My suggestion is that If you want a cup (or a bowl) bring it in and label it clearly. (My stainless vessel was a buck at Ax-Man). Wash it, or not, as it suits you but it shouldn't be piled in the sink waiting for the maid to arrive. We should have a modest quantity of disposables for guests, but members should be encouraged to bring their own--we should have ample storage in the kitchen cabinets. Thoughts?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.969314,-93.508864
Work. Wander. Rest when I can.

mcsteve

Postby mcsteve » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:28 pm

Guys, rock on. Seriously. I feel bad that I'm not there helping, and I was planning on coming in at about 8:00 tonight, but apparently my fiancee already has plans tonight. So I'll either be coming in late late tonight, or during the day tomorrow to get things squared away for the CAD class tomorrow.
If it ain't broke, your version is outdated.

Orkraider

Postby Orkraider » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:26 pm

I love the idea of personal dishes. If you want to use something that's not disposable, bring it in, and have your name on it.

If it's there and dirty, and we have a name on it, we know it's you, or you know someone used your cup.

If it's there and un-named, maybe it can go away.

As far as computers, I am one of the few people who doesn't have a laptop, tablet, or netbook. When I'm at the space, it's often urgent for communication or a project that I get online.

I was excited about getting 8 classroom computers online, as with 2 or 3, they were usually occupied and I had to wander.

Computers on carts?

If we wanted to do this, I'd help build.

I can't tell you how excited I am about all the positive energy to make the space better, cleaner, and more organized.

It's really invigorating, and I want to say thanks to all of you for Doing.

Riley
Riley Harrison
facebook.com/rileyharrison

Booka
Global Moderator

Postby Booka » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:59 pm

I think carts are fine, and actually I think a computer in the Woodshop would be a good idea for plans, email and whatnot. I am looking for a fanless, system at freegeek and if we get a PXE server up with an basic Ubuntu and one with EMC / Gcode software for it, it would fit just right.

Just eliminate the moving parts, and it is ready for a dusty shop.

Orkraider

Postby Orkraider » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:16 am

Bryan (Brian?) has a pxe server up and running.

I like it.

Riley
Riley Harrison
facebook.com/rileyharrison

cgallaty

Postby cgallaty » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:30 am

As for an external computer, if ya'll get stuck, I may be able to be convinced to lend a Panasonic ToughBook to the cause. If they can survive Iraq deserts, I think the wood should would be cake. Its more of an 'email' type laptop to be sure, but rather nice with the touchscreen.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
-- Hubert H. Humphrey

Odegard

Classroom messiness

Postby Odegard » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:11 am

My first thought toward a computer in the sawdust room was: really? But if people have a plan, I'll recommend a good spot for it might be on a table near the window to the classroom. I plan to be in on Sunday for a couple hours to shuffle some more things around. I'll try to accommodate a reasonable amount of space for it there. And that can just remain open work space until the computer plan is actually implemented. Thanks Booka and Chris for the thought energy put forth on it so far.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.906400,-93.294066
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Christopher Odegard

Return to “General Discussion”