class idea "now what"

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
orion
Site Admin

class idea "now what"

Postby orion » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:25 am

So i was talking to someone else and had an idea for a class or series of classes. Survival classes, now i am not talking the end of the world plan for end of the world i am talking practical every day skills.

One can be Minnesota winter, what do you need to survive 48hours without power in a blizzard.

Orkraider

Re: class idea "now what"

Postby Orkraider » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:03 pm

I have tought classes on winter survival skills to youth groups in the past, and might be interested in doing so again.

Well, to whoever was interested, not just you groups.

You know what I mean.

I got in to this in boy scouts, and ended up getting into winter camping, survival camping, and combinations of the 2.

I did more with this both in my army reserve unit, which was an arctic light infantry company, and also when I volunteered as an instructor with the ywca.

Count me in in any capacity.

My last winter camping trip was early last december, 2 nights 3 days solo on a small federally owned island in the middle of the mighty mississippi about 5 miles down river from saint paul.

Riley
Riley
Riley Harrison
facebook.com/rileyharrison

Booka
Global Moderator

Postby Booka » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:20 pm

While I can see the winter survival side of this, and that may be where orion was going with this.

I saw more of his post apocalyptic or world changing event where you have a structure, but Water, Electric and Broadcast media is gone. What to have on hand, how to create a room that can be heated by a candle, what to have on hand such as water filters, dried food, etc. Sorta what to have on hand to survive the first few days of a Katrina type event. (instead of winter, what would you do to have a cool room in the heat of summer?)

But either path, it would be interesting, but I am fairly sure my days of winter camping ended years ago, but I have had power outages of days in the last few years.

smittex

Postby smittex » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:13 pm

Count me in! I long for the day of a zombie apocalypse... I've got 2-person, 72-hour survival kits in my and my gf's car along with a 4-person, 4-week survival kit in the garage. Its about time to go through it all and make sure everything is in working order and reevaluate conditions in the widwest.

cgallaty

Postby cgallaty » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:09 pm

Hehe, I'm guessing sans 4 weeks of fuel, your garage kit won't help much in a MN winter. Exactly what type of survival are we talking? Trapped in snow storm vs lost in boundry waters, etc. Or are you going to cover jumpstarting found cars and siphoning gas to get out of dodge after SkyNet comes online? Bit of a range there.

I have the boys fishing rod in the back of the car from the last camping trip. That's about as prepared as I tend to be as of late, but then, I'm not usually out of the first ring of Burbs as of late.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
-- Hubert H. Humphrey

orion
Site Admin

Postby orion » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:16 am

My idea for this class is simple, practical skills for everyday problems not end of days.

Things like the fire drill plan, everyone is taught they should have one but who has made one or updated it in the last decade. Whiteout covers the burbs and you are shutin for 2 days without power, what do you need for supplies, what are people going to do. Call at 3AM there is a family emergency you have an hour to get to the airport/hospital what can be packed ahead of time to make the trip a little less chaotic.

You can never be prepared for everything but you can prepare for everyday.

Booka
Global Moderator

Postby Booka » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:42 am

All your talk of the Zombie hordes or total Anarchy, and now you talk common sense practical ideas.

This sounds like a great idea though, having some sort of plan, or items prepared can make a huge difference.

orion
Site Admin

Postby orion » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:58 am

I would have a class on the zombie hoards but we all know all the makers will end up at the factory.

metis

Postby metis » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:02 pm

the zombie survival conversations at convergence always got bizarre, as the unknowns are too absurd, fast zombies, slow zombies, rate or decay, etc.

that said, urban disaster survival would be brilliant. for our neck of the woods i'd cover:

tornado, flood, straight line winds (similar to tornado, but different damage pattern) nbc contamination, systemic loss of power, and snowed in.

rigger

Postby rigger » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:24 am

There was a panel along these lines (practical, not zombie) at Arisia a couple of years back. It went well. Most important thing was it got people "thinking" about the whatifs and howtos.

I have some stuff to offer on this topic as well. Perhaps instead of teaching a class, it should be a weeknight symposium?
Work. Wander. Rest when I can.

Return to “General Discussion”