Podcast idea

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
Happyk

Podcast idea

Postby Happyk » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:15 am

start recording equipment
10 sec of silence
start music (maybe handmade music??) 30 sec
The purpose of the podcast is for us, members of twin cities maker. It is yet another way of desciminating information. We have alot of information floating around and I personally think that a podcast would not only put a voice behind the information, but also be entertaining as well. Here is the current layout that I and my co-host (don't know if he wants to be named yet) plan on running. If you guys/girls have any comments please leave them below. Feed back is a must for me.

Welcome to (insert podcast name) number (#). Todays date is (date), and we're recording at (place).
I'm your host (nick or name) with (nick or name)
Highlights of show
Calendar / Anoncments
News
Break
Interview with member
Break
show segment (rotating through out episodes)
1st Electronics
32d Wood working
3rd Metal working
4th arts and crafts
5h Other?
Break
Closing recap
Closing music
"insert something witty here"

smittex

Re: Podcast idea

Postby smittex » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:25 am

I'm not really into podcasts but having some sort of weekly TCM newsletter (or podcast) would be nice to let people know what's happening at the HF.

KellyM

Postby KellyM » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:56 pm

I'd like to see the announcements be a bit quicker at the beginning of the cast, something like "Announce the name, do a bit of commenting banter between mic holders and then go onto the next one. With a close of "For more information and to sign up check out the www.tcmaker.org website."

I don't think the whole blog post needs to be read word for word. I think it will cut down on the 'It's obvious I'm reading this word for word' effect that everyone does when reading something. I think it'll create a more organic free flow to the announcements.

Orkraider

Postby Orkraider » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:44 pm

You have no idea how hard this is.
Riley Harrison
facebook.com/rileyharrison

Happyk

Postby Happyk » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:01 pm

Yeah I agree kelly; what should of happened that didn't was we should have written our own summery of the articles. Hopefully now we have the first one done we can do better??(don't mind me i just got pizza on my keyboard)

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:19 pm

Happyk wrote:Yeah I agree kelly; what should of happened that didn't was we should have written our own summery of the articles. Hopefully now we have the first one done we can do better??(don't mind me i just got pizza on my keyboard)
First one done? Where, who, what, why, when, how? Can we hear it?

KellyM

Postby KellyM » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:01 am

I finished editing the first one last night around 11:30pm, however when I went to output the final mp3 I got a warning that at some point there was 4db of clipping :o

I think it was on the Condenser mic, it was gained pretty good to pickup the voices, but some of the laughter from that mic was really loud. I'm going to cleanup that last bit tonight and I'll get it to those who need to release it.

Happyk

Postby Happyk » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:21 pm

Ladies and Gents....I give you the pod cast dl link.
http://themountainfoldt.s3.amazonaws.co ... 7_2011.mp3

Little quiet. Ohh and post feedback. (fyi haven't had a chance to listen to all of it)

pyrodogg
Site Admin

Postby pyrodogg » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:13 am

First off, I listened to it last night with my gf in the room and she thought it was pretty entertaining the whole way through.

The only real content criticism was that the announcements section went on a little long.

The only technical criticism that I have is that most of the time Adam sounded like a "voice that's obviously in a room" while John and Karin sounded like "quasi godlike voices that were just there". Probably mostly the mics used, etc. Otherwise I think the audio was great. Having been part of the studio audience, you guys did a nice post-proc editing job to keep things clean.

Now, if you want to make this more of a public thing, we need to do some work on the publication side.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:17 pm

The segment was introduced audibly as "you have no idea how hard this is," though the MP3 title says "you have no idea how hard it is."

The room echo didn't bother me so much, except where comments in the background were inaudible. Sound quality otherwise is pretty good, no background hiss, buzz, power tool or ambient sounds.

The loose discussion was entertaining and fun, though the host can probably exercise even more control to keep the program moving along and cut short some of the idle talk. Or maybe more can be edited out.

The end of the podcast can contain a summary of the subjects discussed, the guests on the show, and ending music.

MP3 file information can be expanded and standardized, perhaps including artwork. ID3v1 tag can be included. "Twin Cities Maker" should probably consistently be the artist name, while the song title can contain date, subject, and guest appearance name(s). I'd be willing to work on the data standard.

Are these podcasts going to be near an hour long or shorter?

Return to “General Discussion”